Belt or Belt & pulleys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belt or Belt & pulleys?

The belts and pulleys were changed 40k km ago (28k miles) but it was 5 years so i'm told that it is still due for change. Due I need to change both belt and pulleys as the pulleys have only done 28k miles assuming that it is only being done now as rubber breaks down over time. Just to add the vehicle was taken off road 4 years ago and was not used until now so does this mean that the 5 year rule does not apply? the Auxiliary belts that were done at same time show no wear or deterioration. Many thanks
    NO MORE MR NICE GUY!

wait for the experts - but I wouldn't think you'd need to change the pulleys unless there is a problem with them
    “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

You don't have to change anything. But given what would happen if a pulley bearing failed, I'd change them (and the water pump). If I were doing the job for a paying customer, I'd insist that they were changed.
      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

water pump too ?

I thought that the water pump was driven by the auxiliary belt on the outside of the timing belt casing? I dont know what the 4 belts are for, 1 is for alternator im sure and the others for show lol
        NO MORE MR NICE GUY!

Comment

2 alternator, 1 A/C and 1 power steering.

Cambelt question is a tricky one, I wouldn't change the cam belt after 4 years, especially if you knew it was done, 6 years plus maybe.

But I would be more concerned about a belt that hasn't been used for years, than one in regular use.

If it was mine I wouldn't bother, but if advising someone else would always go safety first and say change it.

Take from that what you will....

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
            2 alternator, 1 A/C and 1 power steering.

Cambelt question is a tricky one, I wouldn't change the cam belt after 4 years, especially if you knew it was done, 6 years plus maybe.

But I would be more concerned about a belt that hasn't been used for years, than one in regular use.

If it was mine I wouldn't bother, but if advising someone else would always go safety first and say change it.

Take from that what you will....

In that case can you remember when you changed mine?
            Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

dont know what to do now

I know from the previous owner, (only 1 in this country, 2 from new) that it was done just after the 100k light, he then drove approx 40k km over next year and then due to change in circumstance never drove it and was left for years but it was turned over for obvious reasons. If a belt was left in a box for 4 years isn't it the same as if it has been left behind a cover? my gut instinct is saying change it soon, my reason says it has loads of life left in it at least 12 months 12k miles, would you agree?
              NO MORE MR NICE GUY!

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel Turbo View Post
                I know from the previous owner, (only 1 in this country, 2 from new) that it was done just after the 100k light, he then drove approx 40k km over next year and then due to change in circumstance never drove it and was left for years but it was turned over for obvious reasons. If a belt was left in a box for 4 years isn't it the same as if it has been left behind a cover? my gut instinct is saying change it soon, my reason says it has loads of life left in it at least 12 months 12k miles, would you agree?
                This makes it totally different. You don't know it has been changed, the previous owner(s) may have been frugal with the truth.

Personally, I'd change the belt, both pulleys and the water pump (the water pump because, on a 2.4, it's almost the same job as the timing belt; false economy not to change it, IMHO)
                Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

so go with the gut instinct! .....it has got me in trouble before but on this occasion I feel it may get me out of it. Not going to do it as an emergency job but on the list..... many thanks
                  NO MORE MR NICE GUY!

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel Turbo View Post
                    so go with the gut instinct! .....it has got me in trouble before but on this occasion I feel it may get me out of it. Not going to do it as an emergency job but on the list..... many thanks
                    Instinct sucks big time
                    The cost of doing it put against the cost of fixing the damage if something goes ###`s up makes it one of those things that if your not sure "do it"
                    I did and its one less thing to think about for a good while

Comment

?

I think you misread the post, my gut instinct says I should change it soon
                      NO MORE MR NICE GUY!

Comment

!

If you noticed thread from me saying about the irregular sound from engine I have just been notified by another member that the fault is the water pump bearings! As I know this was not changed at 100k with other pulleys Timing belt Job Now No 1 on list!
                        NO MORE MR NICE GUY!

Comment

Working...
                        X