thermostat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thermostat

Help please. I'm trying to get the thermostat out of my 2.4 as it's overheating. Is the thermo located at the top of the engine block beside the filler cap for radiator. If so the bolts seem to be stuck, don't want to try forcing them in case I knacker them if thermo is situated elsewhere. Appreciate any help
    Wayne

Originally posted by wdavie
    Help please. I'm trying to get the thermostat out of my 2.4 as it's overheating. Is the thermo located at the top of the engine block beside the filler cap for radiator. If so the bolts seem to be stuck, don't want to try forcing them in case I knacker them if thermo is situated elsewhere. Appreciate any help
    Wayne
    Wayne.

No you got the right place. 3 bolts and yes they will be tight as the casing is aluminium and comes under some serious heat stress. Just be gentle as you can with them.

Cheers

Comment

Get hold of some plus-gas to ease the nuts...

Thoroughly amazed with that stuff.

Motor Factors should stock it.. (not Halfrauds)

andyL

Comment

Thermostat location

Hello,

Another possible trick, after the Plus Gas / WD 40 route is to try and tighten the nuts (you may find that one of them is a bolt (it is on mine)) before you loosen them, sometimes it just gives you that little bit of movement, just be patient. Also, if they are very stiff, try warming the stud/nut/bolt with a plumbers blow torch, just BE CAREFUL and only do this as a last resort, and make sure anything combustible is shielded, and clean off the Plus gas as this is very flammable.

If you are changing the thermostat, you might as well get a rad/block cleaner and flush the water system, it doesn't take long.

I don't want to depress you, but read the threads about cracking cylinder heads on 2.4 Surfs. The first sign of this is usually overheating.

Regards
        Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo
          Hello,

Another possible trick, after the Plus Gas / WD 40 route is to try and tighten the nuts (you may find that one of them is a bolt (it is on mine)) before you loosen them, sometimes it just gives you that little bit of movement, just be patient. Also, if they are very stiff, try warming the stud/nut/bolt with a plumbers blow torch, just BE CAREFUL and only do this as a last resort, and make sure anything combustible is shielded, and clean off the Plus gas as this is very flammable.

If you are changing the thermostat, you might as well get a rad/block cleaner and flush the water system, it doesn't take long.

I don't want to depress you, but read the threads about cracking cylinder heads on 2.4 Surfs. The first sign of this is usually overheating.

Regards

You just depressed him.....
          Last edited by Helen; 14 July 2004, 13:21. Reason: *
          Had enough... going to live in Spain....

Comment

I was depressed before now. Knew about the cylinder head problems and am looking at short term solution by running cylinder head repair through engine and trading car back in with the dealer who sold me it in first place. I took car back to him twice with overheating probs and he said there was nothing wrong with it. He can now have car back.

Comment

Let the engin cool right down or leave over night then try
              to undo as metal contracts when cold may help.
              On a good note it may be just the thermosat,I'm on my 3rd in
              3years.Cheers Chris
              GOT NO COWBOYS HERE?

Comment

Working...
              X