help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help

i had a new head gasket fitted but my surf is still overheating the coolant is a rusty colour and still topping up with water after every 10 miles.
    i tried to flush out the coolant, but i couldnt get the oil cooler box of at the bottom.
    ive got a mark 1 surf please help!!!!!!!!!!

some radiators have a drain plug that unscrews at bottom accesabil from above
    I,LL GO FIRST NO PROB
    (i also juggle dynamite)

Comment

its a 1st gen tony or sumo have one
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
      (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by lrs1972
        i had a new head gasket fitted but my surf is still overheating the coolant is a rusty colour and still topping up with water after every 10 miles.
        i tried to flush out the coolant, but i couldnt get the oil cooler box of at the bottom.
        ive got a mark 1 surf please help!!!!!!!!!!
        before you drive it any more, if your truck is an import then you WILL need to replace the fluid coupling link for a uk spec, you will need to have your rad changed from 3 core to 4 core, this allows the cooling system to be cooler, the reason the heads crack ( or if you are luckier the gasket goes) on the imported 91 - 92 2.4 surfs is the spec for the temps over in japan is different to the uk, there fore, if you drive an import in this country, especially at high speeds, then you will have major probs unless you change these two things, each will cost about £150, as the vehicles cannot cope with the high temp of the speed we do in the uk, ive just learnt the hard way, it cost me near to £1500. but now mine is converted it should be fine

Comment

I'd just pull the bottem and top rad hoses from above, and hose the rad out, then stick it down the top hose to flush the engine out. (remove the stat first)
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by loupea
            before you drive it any more, if your truck is an import then you WILL need to replace the fluid coupling link for a uk spec, you will need to have your rad changed from 3 core to 4 core, this allows the cooling system to be cooler, the reason the heads crack ( or if you are luckier the gasket goes) on the imported 91 - 92 2.4 surfs is the spec for the temps over in japan is different to the uk, there fore, if you drive an import in this country, especially at high speeds, then you will have major probs unless you change these two things, each will cost about £150, as the vehicles cannot cope with the high temp of the speed we do in the uk, ive just learnt the hard way, it cost me near to £1500. but now mine is converted it should be fine
            Bit excessive, UK 4Runners have a smaller rad than imports.

The fan you can do, but not known anyone who has done it. The fan has screws in slots in the hub to adjust the temp that the viscous coupling works, only need to put the fluid in if it has run out.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by loupea
              I have driven my 2.4 at high speeds in 42 deg C heat out west and the cooling system was fine.The cooling system is all original and no mods have been done.Changing radiator and fan is a waste of time and does not reduce the engine operating temperature.This is controlled by the thermostat.

Reasons for overheating are many and poor maintenance is probably the main one.The faulty head gaskets (heads) are also responsible and changing radiator or fan will not have any effect on this.

Neville

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                Bit excessive, UK 4Runners have a smaller rad than imports.

The fan you can do, but not known anyone who has done it. The fan has screws in slots in the hub to adjust the temp that the viscous coupling works, only need to put the fluid in if it has run out.

Not personally but ya E-know me

Comment

Working...
                X