X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving to south africa

Hi I have a few questions.

My Surf is a L reg, LN130 2.4TD

I am thinking of removing the ADD system and putting lockable front hubs on, will that be possible? As the current 4x4 system is very unreilable.

What other "problems" will I need to address before I would go on this trek?

I have had a major service done, and will have another one before I go later this year, Flywheel has been replaced with solid one and the cluch, front bearing have been replaced and the back one are going to be done soon.

I am however looking for OLD EMU shocks, would you know where I can get them for my Surf?

Getting my tyres from Rough Trax, and the steel rims.

Engine wise what would you change? it has just under 200 000km on the clock! Time belt has been replaced 2009. I am a little worried about the Cylinder head!!!

I have a snorkel being put on this week, but I am battling to get rubber seals to "waterproof" the cab, would you know were I can get them/ what I can use in its place.

If you have any ideas please I would like your help.

Thanks

try this

http://www.elphick-pooley.co.uk/
    私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

Thanks!!

Comment

I'd consider buying a full hose set and a new rad. New thermostat and rad cap too.

Devon 4x4 stock Old Man Emu.
        Last edited by wishbone; 17 January 2011, 21:20.

Comment

One other thing that no one thinks of:

and i know as the chap who bought my old 2.4 used it to drive down to Zimbabwe for his wedding (I'll find the website soon)

and that is something to do with Visas, or being able to drive across country borders down in Africa.
          I recall it cost him and his bride thousands.
          If you're interested i can find the site.
          私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

Originally posted by blackpoolsparks View Post
            One other thing that no one thinks of:

and i know as the chap who bought my old 2.4 used it to drive down to Zimbabwe for his wedding (I'll find the website soon)

and that is something to do with Visas, or being able to drive across country borders down in Africa.
            I recall it cost him and his bride thousands.
            If you're interested i can find the site.
            Hi yes I know Don, he helped me buy my Surf, www.troutrek.com that is his web page. I emailed him and the costs are not that bad, it is the insurance was high. but he did say I will need emergency fund.

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
              I'd consider buying a full hose set and a new rad. New thermostat and rad cap too.

Devon 4x4 stock Old Man Emu.
              Thanks I have new hoses on I will take spares, I have fairly new rad, bigger that the old one.

Comment

Originally posted by Saffa4x4 View Post
                Hi yes I know Don, he helped me buy my Surf, www.troutrek.com that is his web page. I emailed him and the costs are not that bad, it is the insurance was high. but he did say I will need emergency fund.
                lol, small world

Well, if you know Don, then the question begs to be asked......
                do you take along a spare head and bolts ?????
                Bit pricey, but then again how much will it cost to source one in the field.

Unless of course yours has already been done.
                私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

Originally posted by blackpoolsparks View Post
                  lol, small world

Well, if you know Don, then the question begs to be asked......
                  do you take along a spare head and bolts ?????
                  Bit pricey, but then again how much will it cost to source one in the field.

Unless of course yours has already been done.
                  Yes he took a massive knock with that head, I think it cost him €2500 for the new head and it fitted. Just other things he can't remember much like the shocks, but I have found someong TBR but they are a little expensive but will work I suppose.

Thanks again

Comment

I've just finished an overland trip, Dublin - Capetown - Nairobi, in my 92 2nd Gen 2.4TD.

I didn't modify it before leaving other than a decent service and a new set of BFGs (very very highly recommended). The only problems I suffered was some overheating problems (due to a heavy load, massive hills in Ethiopia/soft sand and a really dirty cooling system), suffering from only having one spare wheel and suffering from not going for lockable hubs.

I'd also recommend bringing a couple of Jerry cans to give yourself a better range as the Surfs tank is rather small. If you have any other questions at all please email (stanleya at tcd.ie). I'm floating working in South Sudan at the moment with R&R in Kenya where my cars currently parked.

Also I presume you've seen this very helpful website http://www.africa4x4cafe.com/ whose owner frequents these very forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoned Hippy View Post
                      I've just finished an overland trip, Dublin - Capetown - Nairobi, in my 92 2nd Gen 2.4TD.

I didn't modify it before leaving other than a decent service and a new set of BFGs (very very highly recommended). The only problems I suffered was some overheating problems (due to a heavy load, massive hills in Ethiopia/soft sand and a really dirty cooling system), suffering from only having one spare wheel and suffering from not going for lockable hubs.

I'd also recommend bringing a couple of Jerry cans to give yourself a better range as the Surfs tank is rather small. If you have any other questions at all please email (stanleya at tcd.ie). I'm floating working in South Sudan at the moment with R&R in Kenya where my cars currently parked.

Also I presume you've seen this very helpful website http://www.africa4x4cafe.com/ whose owner frequents these very forums.
                      Thank you, must have had a wicked time!!! a frend of mine did last year January, they had a great time, his web page is www.troutrek.com

I am thinking of installing a 2nd tank, you are right the tank is too small.

Did you have a winch? and I am also installing lockable hubs. Not sure when I am going to travel thou, need to get some more details on when to travel, as Egypt is up in the air at the moment, so need to wait!

Thank you for the information I will need to buy more spare wheels it seems

cheers

Comment

Saffa - you still planning to drive home?
                        @africa4x4cafe
                        [url]www.africa4x4cafe.com[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by bundubasher View Post
                          Saffa - you still planning to drive home?
                          Hi yes still planning, but will have to wait till Africa has sorted it's Problems out up north!

Comment

What about the western route?

Wouldn't bother with a second tank - too damned expensive for a start. Jerricans much cheaper and a more flexible solution.

Winches are ok if you know how to use it properly and you have the spare cash!

Rather upgrade your rims to 16" landcruiser steels and get some decent tyres - BFGs, Michelin XZYs etc. Second complete spare pretty damned good idea too...

Anyway, if you're ever down Brighton way pop in for a beer and maybe a bit of pap 'n vors!

W
                            @africa4x4cafe
                            [url]www.africa4x4cafe.com[/url]

Comment

Working...
                            X