oil gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil gauge

i was a bit horrified the other day whilst at some lights to see that my oil gauge was 'low' because i am sure it was fine earlier. when i set off, the gauage rose to thew middle.
    i figured there were two reasons for this, either it was bust or that it was actually for oil presure which i guess would increase as the vehcile works harder.
    could someone offer me advise as to which it is?
    i have not checked my dip as the engine has been hot all the time.
    mat

Yes it measures your oil pressure
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

2 things cause oil pressure to drop low on tickover then rise when reving
        1 dirty oil and blocked filter (try this first)
        2 more common lazy oil pump will only get worse with time worth having pressure checked out as if this fails will cost you an engine
        I,LL GO FIRST NO PROB
        (i also juggle dynamite)

Comment

Originally posted by stimpy30
          2 things cause oil pressure to drop low on tickover then rise when reving
          1 dirty oil and blocked filter (try this first)
          2 more common lazy oil pump will only get worse with time worth having pressure checked out as if this fails will cost you an engine
          Don't scare him to much!

3 its perfectly normal.

As long as your oil pressure light isn't on, it'll be OK. If you have a manual g/box, slow the revs as low as possible without stalling and see if the oil pressure light comes on. If not I wouldn't worry about it.

An oil pump will wear slowly, you'll get plenty of warning by the oil pressure light flickering at low revs.

Where about is your needle on the picture I posted above?
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

oil pressure

Most cars now that are fitted with a oil pressure gauge, are done so with a transducer, so that means that there is not a physical tube of oil pressure to the gauge, it's an electrical current, which can alter, transducers were not that accurate when our surf were produced, so unless the light comes on, don't worry to much about it.

Comment

when idling, it is just in 'l', but once im off its in the middle. i have no light on and its an auto box. i guess from what people have said that this is ok.

Comment

perfectly normal mate, don't worry about it.

Comment

Working...
                X