yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice on buying:1993 Hilux Surf 2.4 td auto?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on buying:1993 Hilux Surf 2.4 td auto?

Hi All,
    Hi i am new to this forum and to the Toyota Hilux have been into v8s ie Range Rovers and other Rovers 'sorry for swearing' all my life.That is until today when i drove my first Hilux Surf 2.4 auto,i could not believe how responsive a 2.4 auto diesel could be? I am smitten i have the chance to buy this car but would like some advice from all you Surf experts out there? I have been offered a 1993 Hilux surf 2.4 td auto ltd 63000miles genuine very good conditon inside and out it drives beautiful.The car did have one niggle which is was at one point doing 120mph according to the speedo i don't think so! It felt more like 60ish? am i right in thinking the speedo may have been changed from mph to kph but not re-calibrated does that sound about right?Also i have read lots about head problems this car? it has had the h.gasket replaced and other engine work done with receipts for over £1700 so hopefully head sorted? Is there any other major problems i should look out for the engine seemed very clean no leaks no rattles or smoke. The autobox had very smooth gear changes and the car was very tidy and i love it, so please any help or advice on this beautiful motor very very much appreciated oh and the asking price £6000 ono.
    cheers,
    chaz.
    Cheers,
    Chas.

Hi Chaz

I have a 1990 2.4, personally i think it's the best all round motor i have ever owned!!! If the engine in the one you looked at has had £1700 spent on it then i would guess that would include a head as well because the gaskets very rarely go so if it's had head problems it should have had a new one fitted (good news for you)!!!The speedo is probably still reading in Km/h as the 2.4 doesnt like much over 90-95 mph (in my opinion). Sounds like a good one from your description, just make sure everything works, all electrics, aircon etc... get the speedo sorted then start haggling, 6k sounds like normal dealer asking price, have a good haggle anyway it usually works!!
    Good luck with it!!!!
    Ed
    If it aint broke...........give it some more abuse!!!!!!!!
    I gave it some abuse.................and it broke!!!!!!!

Comment

Hi Ed,
      Thanks for the advice as i said i'm smitten iv'e never driven one of these before and was well impressed so i will be haggling today.I would appreciate any do's and don'ts maintainance advice any little bits of info on this particular motor as possible ie best oils parts and stockists in the w.mids etc etc etc thanks again.
      cheers,
      chaz.
      Cheers,
      Chas.

Comment

Originally posted by cbv8
        Hi Ed,
        Thanks for the advice as i said i'm smitten iv'e never driven one of these before and was well impressed so i will be haggling today.I would appreciate any do's and don'ts maintainance advice any little bits of info on this particular motor as possible ie best oils parts and stockists in the w.mids etc etc etc thanks again.
        cheers,
        chaz.

gotta agree with ed, best all-round motor i,ve owned, (91 2.4 ssr-ltd)
        milners and roughtrax seem to have most service parts, belts, filters etc. at reasonable prices. Also try the surfs for sale on this forum you may save yourself a fair few quid, seen one 2.4 for £2750ono recently, best of luck m8, and get ready for the big grin every time you get in your surf.

ship

Comment

Hi Ship,
          Thanks also for the info am trying to get a few insurance quotes for the Surf before i go for it but most say they won't insure imports? I did get one who would insure Surfs from Sureterm Direct £277 f/comp if fitted with a thatcham 2 alarm but would not recover these vehicles strange? When asked why he said i don't know i don't make the rules it's just something they don't do very helpful not!!! I don't think i will get a better quote unless anyone can suggest any other companies can't wait to get Surfin.
          cheers,
          chaz.
          Cheers,
          Chas.

Comment

Hi Ship,
            Thanks also for the info am trying to get a few insurance quotes for the Surf before i go for it but most say they won't insure imports? I did get one who would insure Surfs from Sureterm Direct £277 f/comp if fitted with a thatcham 2 alarm but would not recover these vehicles strange? When asked why he said i don't know i don't make the rules it's just something they don't do very helpful not!!! I don't think i will get a better quote unless anyone can suggest any other companies can't wait to get Surfin.
            cheers,
            chaz.
            There's loads on insurance in the FAQ section, (click below). £6k is way over the top for a 2.4, shop around. Better still, if you,are prepared to pay 6k, get a 3.0.
            Pete

Comment

i got my insurance from footmanjames. i had to have a thatcham 2 fitted but i managed to get that out of the dealer. i have just turned 25, only got two years no claims and with brealdown it came to 500. believe me, that is cheap with my stats. thats 200-300 cheaper than most would do my old renault scenic for.
              mat

Comment

Hi All,
                Thanks for all the replies very much appreciated have done a bit of searching on this brill site and have decided to purchase a 3.0 Surf. The garage would not come down on the price of the 2.4 so i said buy buy or should that be bye! bye! found a beautiful 1995 3.0SSRX LTD and for the same price.The car is spotless and looks new no rust anywhere am not used to that having owned only british 4x4s.Anyway back to the drooling i hopefully pick the motor up the end of next week can't wait to start surfin thanks again all.
                Cheers,
                Chas.

Comment

Hi All,
                  After all the messing about with the garage selling the 3.0 with one excuse after another i found a beautiful 92 2.4 which i could not resist.The car is mint inside and out has 71kms on the clock the price was just under £5000 i could not find any in this sort of condition for this price. It is mettalic blue with blue interior not a mark insight it even smells nice and has only just been imported and registered.The motor has 12mths warrenty 12mths mot and 6mths tax it's even being valeted and serviced for me i will be picking it up tomorrow and can't wait.Thanks again for all your advice i will be picking more brains in the near future and as far as 2.4s overheating i'm going to bite the bullitt. Am going to Devon in the week with my 1100kg van on the back and am not going to think about overheating (yeah right) just check the fluids and off i go.I will let you all know how i get on and again just to say what an brill site keep it up very informative.
                  Cheers,
                  Chas.

Comment

insurance

Hope you have found the one you want, it does sound nice, I paid £4500 for my 2.4 ssrx a year ago, and it looked new, underneath was like new.
                    my insurance was £265 fully comp with 4 years no claims and was £100 cheaper than my pug 406..... I am with the Privalidge

Comment

Hi,
                      Nice one with the insurance i have been quote £277 limited to 6000miles i picked the car up today as arranged, and it is the car for me ok.I have been driving it allday !!!!!! lovely responsive, quiet, cool a/c what more could i ask for? Anyway enough drooling the only thing i need is the speedo sorting and am looking for a towbar what do you think of those stick on faces that you see advertised on Ebay?
                      Cheers,
                      Chas.

Comment

Hi,
                        Nice one with the insurance i have been quote £277 limited to 6000miles i picked the car up today as arranged, and it is the car for me ok.I have been driving it allday !!!!!! lovely responsive, quiet, cool a/c what more could i ask for? Anyway enough drooling the only thing i need is the speedo sorting and am looking for a towbar what do you think of those stick on faces that you see advertised on Ebay?
                        Realy pleased you got yourself a nice Surf (at a realistic price, lol) You wont find better weather for testing the aircon, glad it's all nice and cold.
                        Dont bother with the stick on faces, had one on a previous import, it was very dull at night, the light didn't seem to get through very well. Swapped it for a 'proper' face in the end.
                        Pete

Comment

Working...
                        X