turbo problem masked?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turbo problem masked?

so I placed a new silicon hose insert between the intercooler pipe and to throttle body elbow - the old rubber one weas semi-perished and tended the drip oil.

the new one was a perfect fit and pulled up good and tight on the intercooler pipe and the throttle body

result?
    turbo makes a screaming noise, definitely metal on metal noise, and there is now an oil leak from the rubber hose that joins the turbo outlet to intercooler pipe. I had to drive it home and avoid the turbo coming on .....

any theories?

is the turbo gone, and the slight boost leak from the old hose joint was masking the problem? or is the engine unable to take the boost (intake gummed up) so that the pipe is becoming pressurised which in turn is putting back pressure on the turbo so that metal is contacting metal somewhere

I think I'll put the leaky joint back on!!

There'll normally be a bit of oil in the pipework.

Was it definitely metal on metal? Some leaks can sound horribly like that. Also, a turbo's job is to build pressure, and unless something is very wrong with the sensor, it wont build so much excess that it will damage itself. If your inlet was that clogged, I doubt your engine would run at all.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

hi apache,

I used to live and work in Malvern - where all the scientists are

have put the rubber split hose back on aagain for another try

will report back

Comment

Originally posted by rossyroo View Post
        hi apache,

I used to live and work in Malvern - where all the scientists 'are'
        'were'

Qinetiq has been decimated, DSTL have left for Porton Down. I used to be there when DSTL were, but I didn't fancy the move to Porton so jumped ship.

Or were you here prior to that? DERA? RRE?
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
          'were'

Qinetiq has been decimated, DSTL have left for Porton Down. I used to be there when DSTL were, but I didn't fancy the move to Porton so jumped ship.

Or were you here prior to that? DERA? RRE?

Dude, you're talking in acronyms again!

Comment

DERA then QQ until 2004

most of the folk I knew have left now!

Comment

Working...
            X