2.4 auto transmission problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.4 auto transmission problem

when I put it in reverse it feels like it is still in nuetral and will not move, most of the time its o.k. but other times I have to rev to get it to engage.

Also some times 3rd gear does not engage unless I take my foot off the accelerator for a split second then re-accelerate.

It is not the selector, I have had it checked.
    anyone got any ideas?

before assuming something serious, check the fluid level, auto's can act strange if the fluid level is incorrect.
    [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

yep check the easy things first, check fluid level then even maybe check the fluid pick up in the box as the fluid can get burnt and partially block the pick up, its a simple case of taking off the sump of the box and cleaning the strainer of the pick up, and then with new fluid in the box it may well be sorted...

Comment

cheers

thanks for the info looks like im getting dirty at the weekend

Comment

You may want to check if it is the same with ECT engaged or not and whether O/D affects it.

This may help to point to whether it is electronic problems or mechanical / hydraulic.

If the box was fully controlled by hydraulic pressure like some older boxes then I would say that the filter was probably dirty thus reducing the pressure in the box which operates the gears. It may still be this - not sure how much of the box is controlled purely by hydraulic pressure and how much by solenoids.

Cheers

Comment

filter

cheers mate you wouldnt happen to know how to find the filter
            Last edited by jon; 6 July 2004, 21:26.

Comment

Unfortunately it's inside the transmission. You have to drain the sump and remove it to find the filter. If you do, make sure you have some RTV / gasket sealant so you can put it back togother again and some ATF.

Comment

take off

will i have to take off the exhaust and anti rollbar to get the sump right off

Comment

Working...
                X