Cam belt advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam belt advice

Hi - sorry if this is a repost - re-question but the search facility didnt throw up anything..

as a piece of mind I always like to change the belts when i pick up a new vehicle, unless the previous owner has proper documented proof..

I've had a look around and spoken to a mate 'in the trade' and he's looked it up, says it doesnt look too difficult but suggests that a Crankshaft pully puller would be needed (and as he is a vw man he doesnt have one)

So my question is, is it a specific tool for the 2.4 toyota engine or woudl standard mechanics means be able to remove it..

if its a special tool - are they cheap enough or should i just book in for it to be done properly (but loose out on very affordable mates rates prices)

any advice would be great - unless someone local to reading/newbury area wants some beer vouchers??
    Last edited by lawsy; 28 October 2010, 09:33.

you don't need to take any pulley's off when doing a cambelt on the surf.I would advise doing the water pump and tensioner at the same time while the viscous fan and cambelt cover is off and out the way
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

A garage in basingstoke is always desperate for beer vouchers...

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
        you don't need to take any pulley's off when doing a cambelt on the surf.I would advise doing the water pump and tensioner at the same time while the viscous fan and cambelt cover is off and out the way
        you do on a 2.4 Rich, its a PITA compared to 3.0 cam belts.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
          A garage in basingstoke is always desperate for beer vouchers...

i have mentioned you to him Tony and i think he was going to get in touch

Comment

i have mentioned you to him Tony and i think he was going to get in touch
            that you have..

Was going to ask later, but seeing we here

Tony - I'll give you a buzz this morning??

*edit* Tony - left you a message on your voicemail
            Last edited by lawsy; 28 October 2010, 10:06.

Comment

my mechanic friend has asked me to ask..

'what I'm worried about is if its and interference fit and definatly needs the puller, most cars are just bolted on(so to speak)'

if anyone can answer that, then that would be awesome, if not, Tony - please let me know how many beer vouchers you'd need as a 'private' job

any advice greatly received

thanks
              steve

Comment

The viscous fan is four 12mm nuts and then pulls off.Be carefull of the radiator though.All he needs to do then is take the cam belt cover off and thats it.There's no other pulley's that i know of that have to come off

Comment

Hi, just got in, Rich, its a 2.4, stop telling him its easy,

they have to drain the coolant, remove hoses across the front of the cover, the fan shroud, A/C pump, its bracket, drive belts, fan pully and fan and crank pully to get the cam cover off.

the crank pulley is normally feck tight (120ft/lb), you need to lock the crank to undo i and 80% of the time needs a puller to get it off the end of the crank. Don't use a 3/2 legged puller, use a hub puller, you'll often break the glue of the rubber ring holding the 2 halves together. (Its a harmonic balencer for crank)

Then you can undo the cover to get to the belt.

Yes its an interference engine.

Will call you inna bit, or ring me again later if I forget.

Comment

I knew the 2.4 was worse than the 3.0 but i never realised it was as bad as that Tony.
                    Lawsy its a shit of a job to do so get Tony to sort it for you.
                    Don't take any notice of my other post cause what i said was crap..

Comment

I knew the 2.4 was worse than the 3.0 but i never realised it was as bad as that Tony.
                      Lawsy its a shit of a job to do so get Tony to sort it for you.
                      Don't take any notice of my other post cause what i said was crap..
                      it's not that bad rich i managed to replace the injector pump in 41/2hrs but i had removed the aircon previously so that wasn't a problem, apart from that i found it easier to do than the peugeot xud engine as the surf has quite a bit of room compared to front wheel drive cars where space is at a premium
                      I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

Tony

As discussed - Next week would be great - i could do monday, thursday or Friday...

let me know which would suit you best

cheers
                        steve

Comment

i take from that reply Steve you bought the truck.Well done

Comment

i take from that reply Steve you bought the truck.Well done
                            yes mate..

picked it up last night - will put a post up in a min

Comment

Working...
                            X