Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting problems and query

Hiya,

First, I love my Hilux (needed a 4x4 to tow my horse trailer, left it to my husband to find something. He found me my Surf. In the horse world I am surrounded by Disco but they are not a patch on my monster! She tows the trailer with my monster horse and my friend's horse without any trouble and what ever the conditions!). Second, I love this site. It has been really useful and helpful over the year and half of Surf ownership.

So I am hoping you can help again.

A few weeks ago, after a couple weeks of not using the truck (long story), I went to use her and she would not start straight away like she always did. She would crank fine and after 3-4 tries she fired and then after that, through out the day she started perfectly first time. The next monring, same thing.

I searched the forum and have done the following:

1. Checked fuses/relays - all look fine.
    2. Batteries tested fine and connections good; also charging fine.

So changed plugs (Roughtrax - NGKs).

Immediately after doing the plugs, tried to start it and had same thing. Eventually started.
    That was yesterday, so today we checked the power on the rail. Turned the key to fully on (like you do to let the truck plugs warm up), 11V, relay click and beep (still 11V), then hear another click after about 20 seconds and voltage drops off to nothing. I didn't crank the engine. We check this about 4 times. Same thing, then I crankd it and the truck fired though it was a little lumpy for 4-5 secs then lovely as usual.

So queries are:

1. Shouldn't there be a 6V stage in the cycle?
    2. Is it right that it drops to nothing?
    3. Did it fire this time because i'd cycled it 4 times before actually cranking the engine?

Tomorrow, I will try to start her first go and see if she fires straight away.

In the meantime, if anyone can help with my queries, I would be grateful. :-)

Regards,
    Cat

What engine?
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Like Albannach says, the glow plug sequences are different for the 2.4 or 3.0. Although there is no beep on the 3.0, so guessing you have a 2.4.

Have you used veg in it? trucks left standing with veg in pump often arn't happy after time.

I alway thought there was a lower voltage 'afterglow' time, there definatly is on the 3.0, would have to check for 2.4.

If you're sure your batterys are turning truck over at the same speed as before, i'd look elsewhere, maybe change the fuel filter and put some Redex in the tank to give the fuel system a clean.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

There is a lower voltage 'afterglow' on a 2.4 too. I forgot the beeper thing is different on a 3.0.

How accurate is the volt meter you are using?
        Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Sounds like one or more of the glowplugs aren't heating up to me.
          Were the insulators put back on correctly?
          You can apply 12v direct to the plugs before fitting to see if they glow.

Just re-read the first post, and it seems the problem occurred after two weeks of the truck not being used. Could be the fuel primer diaphragm is perished or split allowing air into the fuel lines and the fuel is draining back to the tank, which would be another reason while the engine is taking a while to start and
          Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 10 October 2010, 00:38.

Comment

Thanks, guys, for all the responses.

Sorry, I forgot to say which Surf I had. 2.4TD 1992.

This morning, I went out, cycled the plugs twice then turned her over and started perfectly.

Tomorrow, if I feel brave, I will try to start it first time after the beep.
            I will see how it goes and let you know.

I am interested in the fuel dropping back to the tank theory. Makes sense. Does cycling the plugs also prime the fuel?

Comment

Originally posted by catweazle View Post
              Thanks, guys, for all the responses.

Sorry, I forgot to say which Surf I had. 2.4TD 1992.

This morning, I went out, cycled the plugs twice then turned her over and started perfectly.

Tomorrow, if I feel brave, I will try to start it first time after the beep.
              I will see how it goes and let you know.

I am interested in the fuel dropping back to the tank theory. Makes sense. Does cycling the plugs also prime the fuel?

No, it just warms them up a bit more. You shouldn't have to do it if the plugs are pretty new, unless one or more of them aren't working.

Comment

Working...
              X