valve shims etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• valve shims etc

Following my glow plug tip saga, I'm going to whip off the rocker cover to have a closer look.
    Does anyone know where the valve shims sit in relationship to the cups. Are the shims on top between the cam and the cup or below between the cup and the valve stem.
    Also, is it possible to reverse a worn shim and use the 'clean side against the valve stem/cam?
    TonyN had this link in a previous post but doesn't seem to work

http://www.afm15.dial.pipex.com/surf...0Clearance.pdf

Thanks
    Last edited by potif; 13 September 2010, 11:49.

Originally posted by potif View Post
    Following my glow plug tip saga, I'm going to whip off the rocker cover to have a closer look.
    Does anyone know where the valve shims sit in relationship to the cups. Are the shims on top between the cam and the cup or below between the cup and the valve stem.
    Also, is it possible to reverse a worn shiman and use the 'clean side against the valve stem/cam?
    TonyN had this link in a previous post but doesn't seem to work

http://www.afm15.dial.pipex.com/surf...0Clearance.pdf

Thanks
    i wouldn't recommend reversing the shims they are cheap enough to buy just take the shim out get the size off the underside (unless someone has put it in upside down and worn the thickness off) or just measure it with a micrometer. if i remember correctly i think they are overbucket shims
    but i do stand to be corrected if i'm wrong
    I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

sorry if I'm being thick but does 'overbucket' mean they are on top?

and where do i buy them?

thanks

Comment

Shims are directly under the cam.

Valve clearance
        intake : 0.20 -0.30mm (0.008 -0.12in)
        exhaust :0.40 - 0.50mm (0.016 - 0.020in)

Read this as well.

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/v...alve+clearance

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by potif View Post
          and where do i buy them?
          You get them from Toyota and they aren't cheap.

There's a whole range of sizes (about 17 I think) so you can't order till you know what you want.

ev
          Last edited by NiftyNev; 13 September 2010, 12:06.

Comment

Hi Nev

how thick are these shims generally - i appreciate that they come in different sizes but are they say around 5mm thick plus or minus the difference. if my glow plug tip jammed open the exhaust valve, would it be possible to throw a shim out of the bucket and would the tappet noise be more horrendous than if it were a couple of thou' out.

Thanks, Steve

Comment

2.5mm to 3.3mm in .05 increments. Have heard of a shim or two coming out before but under what circumstances it happens I'm not sure.

Nev
              Last edited by NiftyNev; 13 September 2010, 12:45.

Comment

Don't know if you've read my 'snapped glow plug' story but basically, I dropped the tip into the cylinder and blew it down the exhaust rather than taking the head off.
                One of my theories for the tappet noise is that the tip which is about 3mm in diameter, may have jammed open the exhaust valve and the resulting 'slack' in the cam/shim/bucket/valve train may have been enough to throw out the shim.
                If this is the case, I am hoping to be able to recover it and slip it back into the bucket. If not, then I may have bent the valve slightly or dented the underside of the bucket (is this possible - probably hardened?) in which case, I will have to compensate with a new shim.
                if it is the second scenario, I could always remove the shim and pack it out from the bucket with a piece of standard shimming steel.

Anyway, I'm going to have a look tomorrow - so wish me luck.

Thanks for the advice, Steve

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
                  You get them from Toyota and they aren't cheap.

There's a whole range of sizes (about 17 I think) so you can't order till you know what you want.

ev
                  i didn't think they were expensive compared to bike shim prices most car shims are cheap, in fact the last time i priced up two shims for a honda cb900 the robbing gits wanted £9 each!!!
                  I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

Checked the valve clearances today - no displaced shims but .08mm difference between No1 and No2 exhaust Valves (engine still warm so had to take a comparison)
                    made up a .06mm shim from some Shim steel and slipped it in under the original.
                    Engine definately quieter now but I think the remaining noise is coming from No1 injector as it dissapears when I slacken off the nut.
                    Seems to be running fine so I'll leave it at that for now.

While I was under the bonnet, I took the chance to adjust out the slack in the auto box kick down cable on the back of the throttle cable lever. This seems to have made a difference in the gearbox response - you know, that annoying pause when you put your foot down and the engine seems to take for ever to start moving the car, though I've only done a couple of miles of town driving since. I'll give it a good try on the way to work tomorrow.

Comment

Here's my experience without any real consequences ... yeah so was I
                      http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...light=Glowplug

Jess
                      "Cos short cuts can cost more in the long run"
                      Buncefield Burner

Comment

In this situation, there's nothing more satisfying than hearing the rattle as the tip goes into the exhaust but I was sweating as I turned the key.

Comment

I buy shims from my local engineering place, they do all the rebores, heads etc. So I would get your shims from a place like that, I think they cost me about £5.

I do have some shims here, no idea what they are though. I'm quite willing to send them to you, use what you need and send what you don't need back.

If that helps that is.
                          If at first you don't succeed.........give up.

Comment

Thanks for the offer but the sheet shim behind the original seems to have worked ok.
                            I think my remaining noise is due to the injector as it goes whenever I slacken off the fuel line nut. I am about to due the oil and filter change, so I'll change the fuel filter too and top it up with forte (from roughtrax) or redex (anyone have any thoughts on which is better?), run it into the injectors and leave them soak in it overnight.
                            Failing that, it'll be a trip to the injector doctor to strip, clean and reset the injector.

Steve

Comment

I wouldn't recommend using shimming steel, instead of the correct shim, in an engine.
                              Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Working...
                              X