New Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Head

This may be a stupid question, but I don't know a lot about surf's yet!

If your head cracks and you then do whatever is needed to replace/repair it at vast expense, is that the end of all the problems associated with 2.4td engines, i.e. is it likely to crack again? (Assuming you take all the necessary preventative measures as well, i.e. change the coolant regularly, etc, etc.)

Cheers
    MJ

Originally posted by blowin a hooley
    This may be a stupid question, but I don't know a lot about surf's yet!

If your head cracks and you then do whatever is needed to replace/repair it at vast expense, is that the end of all the problems associated with 2.4td engines, i.e. is it likely to crack again? (Assuming you take all the necessary preventative measures as well, i.e. change the coolant regularly, etc, etc.)

Cheers
    MJ
    the problem which caused the head to crack on the original engines has now been modified and fingers crossed should be the end of it hopefully, no one has had a new head on long enough to really to see, but there havent been any reported problems so far, although 2.4 surfs arent the only motor with this problem i know of an imported pajero and a english shogun both of which had cracked heads just recently
    [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
    [size=5][/size]
    [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Thanks Ian

So a new head has a different design?

MJ

Comment

Yes- it is a new design. Make sure you get a NEW head, sourced from Japan and not any kind of recon engine. Keep the cooling system in tip top condition and it will give years of service.

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock99
          Yes- it is a new design. Make sure you get a NEW head, sourced from Japan and not any kind of recon engine. Keep the cooling system in tip top condition and it will give years of service.
          Yep give UK cylinder heads in cornwall a call, best price found so far they do the bolts gaskets ready to bolt on and go.
          Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
          My choice
          Back off

Comment

Sorry to bump an old thread.

I've just had my head replaced. The old one had cracked every pot across inlet/exhaust & precombustion round thingy (I'm a deisel guru, I'm just playing dumb) was loose in all 4.

My engineer replaced it with a modded 3L head. He also told my I had big spotlights, without ever seeing my car. I thought,"this guy's good, I might ask him about the next set of lotto numbers!"
            He told me every surf he has done has big spotties in the way of the radiator. He said I would get some benifit from putting a couple of vents (like Cosworth vents) in the bonnet.
            91 SSR ltd 2.4td Wine over grey. Currently on head #2.
            89 Mazda MX6 2.2 lt turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by crusty
              Sorry to bump an old thread.

I've just had my head replaced. The old one had cracked every pot across inlet/exhaust & precombustion round thingy (I'm a deisel guru, I'm just playing dumb) was loose in all 4.

My engineer replaced it with a modded 3L head. He also told my I had big spotlights, without ever seeing my car. I thought,"this guy's good, I might ask him about the next set of lotto numbers!"
              He told me every surf he has done has big spotties in the way of the radiator. He said I would get some benifit from putting a couple of vents (like Cosworth vents) in the bonnet.
              I took my fogs off for that reason but it made no difference to the temperature of the engine.

I do agree that a couple of vents in the bonnet may help. The problem with the Surf is that the engine bay is so cramped that although it easily gets enough cold air in the front, it can't get the warm air out. The vents need to be rear facing (vents not scoops) as the vacuum over the bonnet caused by the Surf being as aerodynamic as my house will then suck the hot air out. I'm probably going to do this to mine eventually.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
              X