2.4td auto loss of power/ running rough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.4td auto loss of power/ running rough

seems to be a frequent issue- many items on the web. but advice welcome before I dive in with the spanner !
    my surf had a new head kit maybe 5 years ago, I have owned is for 6 months. Always starts albeit rough, picks up well above 2.5K revs, turbo boot light comes on at 2K revs, but below that- utterly gutless. So much so that I have to use low box to get moving off a slope because from stationery, and below 2K revs, it more or less sits at tickover. So low box to get pff the slope, back into high box, creep forward as revs climb then OK acceleration after 2k or so revs reached. Have changed fuel and air filters. It is definately running enevenly. Guess not air in the system cos always starts, and runs fine at higher revs when air problems may make it worse. So that leaves fuel starvation maybe ? Is there a lift pump in the tank - maybe a filter blocked on the tank supply ? Injectors ? (done about 120K miles) OR something to do with the EGR valve ????
    advice please- what to start with !

Originally posted by neil mathews View Post
    seems to be a frequent issue- many items on the web. but advice welcome before I dive in with the spanner !
    my surf had a new head kit maybe 5 years ago, I have owned is for 6 months. Always starts albeit rough, picks up well above 2.5K revs, turbo boot light comes on at 2K revs, but below that- utterly gutless. So much so that I have to use low box to get moving off a slope because from stationery, and below 2K revs, it more or less sits at tickover. So low box to get pff the slope, back into high box, creep forward as revs climb then OK acceleration after 2k or so revs reached. Have changed fuel and air filters. It is definately running enevenly. Guess not air in the system cos always starts, and runs fine at higher revs when air problems may make it worse. So that leaves fuel starvation maybe ? Is there a lift pump in the tank - maybe a filter blocked on the tank supply ? Injectors ? (done about 120K miles) OR something to do with the EGR valve ????
    advice please- what to start with !
    do a diagnostic self test on her there is a tread on here that will help u all u need is a piece of wire to bridge 2 connection on the diagnostic plug and count the times the engine light on the dash flashes and the tells u the fault code numbers there should be a reference with the tread

sounds like its the throttle position sensor or crank sensor
    but the test will tell u what it is
    good luck mate
    Last edited by pauly; 2 August 2010, 00:01.
    1992 hilux surf ssr-x 2.4 auto 2nd gen LN130

http://cornishhostingcompany.co.uk/support/aff.php?aff=005

Comment

thanks, would those affect across all revs, ? Because it seems OK above 3K revs goes well enough. It is picking up from idle under load when theres no power. If I knock it into neutral it revs up fine, back into drive, nore or less stays on tickover hence resorting to low box...

Comment

ok check this tread out
        http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=14898

maybe this may b ur prob??????
        did u do a test???
        1992 hilux surf ssr-x 2.4 auto 2nd gen LN130

http://cornishhostingcompany.co.uk/support/aff.php?aff=005

Comment

Working...
        X