How do I check/change my brake pads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I check/change my brake pads?

I spent a while searching old posts last night but couldn't find any info.

Cheers
    James

buy a haynes manual (or download one if you can find a link)

or pay some one!!!

Unless you have done this on a few cars (in which case you probably would not be asking) I probably would not start with a surf as the car to learn on (unless you can get someone to help you).

sorry

Comment

Hi james, hows things ? The best solution is to contact Tony N,
      possibly supply pads and fit for a good rate , then watch
      what's needed for next time ?

Chris
      GOT NO COWBOYS HERE?

Comment

Doing brake pads is a doddle, an absolute breeze on a Surf. It's not changing pads that need knowledge and experience, one only needs that when something goes wrong.

The thing that most amateurs don't do, when they've fitted new pads, is pump the brake pedal a few times before driving; remember to do that!
        Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Brake pads are a simple job if that's all you want to do. If the calipers have never been done and they need an overhaul and you want to do it right, then it's more complicated.

Nev

Comment

Firstly, inspect both sides of the brake disc...if they are all smooth and shiny with no grooves or lips round the edges all is good. If not, then discs need replacing or skimming, so calipers will need to come off.
            Next look at the amount of material left on the pads in relation to the metal bits...if all seems equal, then wear is even, which again is good..Also check the thickness of each side of the brake disc..should all be equal (ish).
            If the amount of material left on the pads is less than approx 5mm, (just a rough guide!) then getting near time to replace.
            If you're replacing the pads, just have a look at how the pads are retained in the caliper, usually some sort of spring loaded clips, and pins to guide their movement,easily taken off with basic hand tools, parallel punches etc. The pads will require some sort of gentle mechanical force to come out, leverage, gentle hammer etc. Once they are out, go under the bonnet and remove the cap from the brake fluid reservoir, and surround it with cloths, towels or the like.
            Next, with the old pads removed, lever the caliper pistons as far back into the caliper body as they will go, so as to make room for the new, thicker pads. You may spill some fluid from the reservoir doing this, hence the towels...
            Light coat of coppaslip/antiseize on the back of the new pads, then pop them into the caliper, fit all guide pins/retaining clips (smeared LIGHTLY with anti-seize), then switch on engine and pump pedal 'til it isn't spongy. Check brake fluid level, removing any excess or topping up if necessary.
            Test drive... Brakes should feel solid and even, with no pulling to either side, but may require a little "bedding in" to achieve full braking force.
            Just a simple guide, would take a lot more to overcome any problems encountered....
            3rd gen 3.0 SSR-V '98 R

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
              Doing brake pads is a doddle, an absolute breeze on a Surf. It's not changing pads that need knowledge and experience, one only needs that when something goes wrong.

The thing that most amateurs don't do, when they've fitted new pads, is pump the brake pedal a few times before driving; remember to do that!
              Someone help! Albannach's broken!

I blame Steve.

Gallows humour on a brakes thread. Whatever next?

Comment

Originally posted by biosurf View Post
                Someone help! Albannach's broken!

I blame Steve.

Gallows humour on a brakes thread. Whatever next?
                I'm not broken.

I just got fed up with the crap I was getting when I told folk not to mess with safety critical componants on their trucks. So I figure that if I only advise folk quite far away, the chances of me being killed when their 'repairs' fcuk up is minimal.
                Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                  I'm not broken.

I just got fed up with the crap I was getting when I told folk not to mess with safety critical componants on their trucks. So I figure that if I only advise folk quite far away, the chances of me being killed when their 'repairs' fcuk up is minimal.
                  Ah, keep at it, you convinced me to leave well alone anything thats life threatening.

Comment

AND... thinking about it, far away from you is close to me!!!

Comment

Thanks malxwal for the info.

Albannach + Chris - Point taken. I'll check them myself and ask TonyN to replace if required.

Cheers
                      James

Comment

Working...
                      X