yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starting Issue - New surfer reaching out for help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting Issue - New surfer reaching out for help!

Ok - this is my first reach out to you guys for some advice if you please.

Had my surf a little over 2 weeks now - everything running sweet, been starting and driving spot on - all gauges where they should be - all fluids spot on etc.
    It is a 1994 2nd Gen 2.4 Auto

Was out in the Surf on Sunday just passed for a few hours issue free. Then parked the beast up on Sunday night and didnt attempt to use it again until yesterday (Tue) morning.

When I attempted to start the thing yesterday morning it wouldnt play - was turning over and over but no ignite. Battery voltage all ok etc so it wasnt a no power issue.
    I didnt have the time to tinker yesterday morning so I only turned it over 2/3 times then left it as I didnt want to damage any internals incase it was something serious which was confusing as the truck has been running sweet as up until then.

So last night in the blizzards I braved it again and on the second turn of the key with some perseverance the beast kicked into life. I let the truck run for almost 30 mins to let it get right up to temp then switched off.

The truck started this morning on first turn and all is running smooth.
    I drove the 10 miles to work this morning grinning from ear to ear.

Now we have had a cold snap here since Sunday (who hasnt I hear you say) and the snow etc hasnt helped so my unexperienced guess suggests it is something simple to do with the cold - maybe glow plugs needing changed?

Anyway - looking for any advice suggestions from you all knowing surf gods and goddesses as I love the truck but need it to start when I give the command!

Reading this back it looks like war and peace so apologies for the ramble

Also I am in Noth lanarkshire in Scotland so if any Northern surfers fancy a meet up and a gander at my truck for a diagnosis I am happy to pay for your fuel costs and buy you a beer
    Not just using you - it would be genuinely nice to meet some surfers as well!

All help greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by Madboy; 31 March 2010, 08:04.

Hi,
    Haha does sound a bit like war and peace! It does sound like the glow plugs to me...daft question but are you waiting for the light to extinguish before turning the key fully and is it lumpy/Smokey when it does start? (my old one did this when it was cold).

Rob
    The sh$t gets deeper ...but still swimming

Comment

Hi thanks for the reply Wiggy.

Yes I am waiting for the light to go out before turning the key - sometimes I leave it another few seconds even after the light has gone out.

If I am hones the light doesnt seem to stay on for long compared to other diesels I have had in the past.

The engine is not smoky at all even at start up - when she wouldnt start and I was turning her over and over there were a few puffs of smoke then but to be expected in those circumstances I expect.
      I suppose on further thought it is a little lumpy when first started when cold.

Comment

Hmm seem to remember folk had tonnes of problems with this earlier in the year and most of it was glowplug related.....is the 80A fuse ok? (as i think the light can still illuminate on the dash even when its fubared). Is the correct voltage getting to the plugs?

Comment

Originally posted by wiggy View Post
          Hmm seem to remember folk had tonnes of problems with this earlier in the year and most of it was glowplug related.....is the 80A fuse ok? (as i think the light can still illuminate on the dash even when its fubared). Is the correct voltage getting to the plugs?

I am not very up on the techie side of things but enthusiastic and willing to learn.

I suppose I can change the 80A fuse easy enough for piece of mind but wouldnt know how to check the voltage that is getting to the plugs...........

Is it easy enough to do for a novice?

Thanks

Comment

Would have thought so just a mulitmeter job! try this for a bit of info
            http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=7865 (cant access the thread myself but on a work pc and need to nip off out now but try a few searches for glowplug voltage and that should help!) someone else will be a long in a bit to help you out though.

Rob

Comment

Thanks Wiggy - that link is useful.

Anyone else got a tuppenceworth that could help

Comment

Did you get sorted?

Rob

Comment

No not yet - truck started last night after work first time but it is in an underground heated carpark so wasnt expecting trouble.

Parked it up about 7pm then 7am this morning had the same starting trouble even though it wasnt that cold last night.

I am pretty sure going on common sense and the advice you have given Wiggy that its the glow plugs so I am going to put a general thread on appealing for a good garage near me that can carry out the work or a friendly, helpful local surfer who might fancy showing a noob how to do it in return for some beer!

I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks a lot for your replies

Comment

Working...
                  X