Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual Fuel Leak

Can anyone make sense of this.

Started the truck this morning and set off for a 60 mile round trip. Stopped at the shop at the end of the street, when i came out i noticed what I thought was a water leak under the engine. Stuck my finger in it and it seemed oily. Took the truck home and pulled up outside the house, left the engine running and within seconds there was a pool on the floor.
    When I got under to have a look it appeared that it was fuel not oil. It just looked oily as there had been a minor oil leak at some time and the fuel was bringing the oil off the bottom of the sump.
    popped the lid to have a look, athough there was a steady stream running off the bottom of the sump i couldn't tell where it was coming from looking from the top or from underneath.
    Stopped the engine and pulled the air filter and python off to get a better look. Wiped a few things with a rag to see better but couldn't see where the leak was. Started the engine again and guess what, no leak.
    Anyone know what could cause this. I daren't go anywhere in case it starts leaking again while I am driving.
    In space no one can hear you scream

Any takers on this weird problem.
    Started truck again today, fuel leaking off bottom of sump.
    Again by the time I had got my tools out and taken the air filter cover and python off for a better top view, leak had stopped. It seems to stop after engine had run for 5-10 minutes but is quite a heavy leak up to this point.
    See Attached.
    First pic is looking from below. You can see the radiator in the distance.
    Fuel is running from the front along the sump flange. It is coming from above what apears to be a front engine mount
    Second pic from above, between the water pressure cap and air intake manifold. There is a grey rectangular thing below the black hose. Its somthing to do with fuel but I'm not sure what. (bit thick).
    The fuel is coming from somewhere in that area but I cant see where from.
    What could couse it to leak fuel when cold but then stop when warm???
    Attached Files

Comment

That part in the 2nd pic below the pipes is the fuel pump which is probably the cause of the leak.You can buy a seal kit from Roughtrax but you will also need to buy a set of O rings from b&q as i think there is the one seal missing from the kit
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Cheers Richard, are the pumps prone to leaking. I'm not sure how long I have had a leak but mpg has gone down a bit. Thought it was due to the off road tyres.
        PS love the avatar

Comment

Some leak and some don't so your just one of the unlucky ones thats got the leak.

Comment

I see from the pic that you are also missing a hose clip from what looks like the hose to the heater in the back.

Comment

Originally posted by SoundsDigital View Post
              I see from the pic that you are also missing a hose clip from what looks like the hose to the heater in the back.
              Well spotted so I have.

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
                Some leak and some don't so your just one of the unlucky ones thats got the leak.
                Yep, fuel running off bottom of fuel pump, I could just about see down there with a torch. Bit beyond the scope of my tool kit and patience so will have to go into garage for repairs.
                Any ides how many hours involved so I can figure out how much it will cost.
                I recon about an hour for stripping out and replacing and an hour pratting around with new seals, do you think that near the mark. Need to work it out cos a bit skint. For £100 quid I could just tax my other car and save the hassle for later.

Comment

i would think about 3 hours should do it but i've never done one myself.Take it to a garage and ask how much they would charge to do the job if you supply the seal kit

Comment

Working...
                  X