Starting Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting Problem

I'm posting like a mad thing just now, sorry the surfs back and I'm keen to get on with it.

I have a problem starting.
    The plug light illuminates for about 2 secs, I leave it a few secs more and fire up, but it just turns over for about 10 secs, then starts, chugging and spewing blue smoke from the rear.
    It then nearly dies and then its fine, sometimes it does die.
    After that it runs fine, at moment it takes two attempts.

Is it the glow plugs, there is a voltage on the feeder wire to the plugs. As I say everything else is ok.

Any advice?
    Thanks
    Ronnie

Originally posted by whitespider
    I'm posting like a mad thing just now, sorry the surfs back and I'm keen to get on with it.

I have a problem starting.
    The plug light illuminates for about 2 secs, I leave it a few secs more and fire up, but it just turns over for about 10 secs, then starts, chugging and spewing blue smoke from the rear.
    It then nearly dies and then its fine, sometimes it does die.
    After that it runs fine, at moment it takes two attempts.

Is it the glow plugs, there is a voltage on the feeder wire to the plugs. As I say everything else is ok.

Any advice?
    Thanks
    Ronnie
    Could be, if the buzz bar has been dissassemble recently then its quite easy to put it back together wrongly.
    As your getting voltage up there then this rules out the fuse, order of washers on bar assembly as follows
    This is from the bottom to the top
    Blue spacer (raised centre/post)
    Wiring connections
    Black spacer
    Washer
    Nut.

If it hasn't been taken apart then it could just be one or more glow plugs have broken down.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

Could be glow plugs and electrics but my feeling is that it is a fuel problem.
      If it takes a long start crank then it would appear thet it is taking time to get the fuel through.
      Have a look at the manual primer, it is the mushroom shaped thing on top of the fuel filter. If it is nice and firm to press a few time then is is o.k.
      Mine had Sh@t itself and would not hold a prime.
      The injector pump is very very limited in its ability to suck so it can take a long time to get fuel through.
      I am not saying to rule out plugs but as they say it take two to tango and you can have all the glow in the world but without fuel the its a big NO GO
      Simon.O.
      '90 SSR Ltd 2.4TD 5 spd

Comment

Bit off topic......

simono spent most of April in NZ looking at setting a business over there, dental. Love the place hope to settle there in a few months. Saw a few places for off roading, i liked the signs that said 'unsealed road a head'. Been told that south island is the best for off road capers.
        Just thought i'd say hi.....muncher

Comment

similar issues

I had the same problem on my 91 surf, but i was getting voltage to the buzz bar. Turns out I had 3 working and 1 duff glow plug and it too an age, cranking over and then getting a massive gust of smoke out of the exhaust. Not totally fixed as I now have an issue with the mushroom primer, but hey, you win some...... suggest starting with the plugs as this is a relatively easy option.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the help, haven't got round to fixing it yet, but will do.
            I think I am going to go for the plugs and proper sequence first.

Interested in this 'mushroom' primer. I have done it a few times. I can pump it about four times then it goes solid, I have done this everytime I raise the bonnet, which post head replacement is daily at the moment.

Simono mentioned a shot primer, how do you know its shot and what should a normal one act like?

Interested
            Ronnie

Comment

Originally posted by whitespider
              Interested in this 'mushroom' primer. I have done it a few times. I can pump it about four times then it goes solid, I have done this everytime I raise the bonnet, which post head replacement is daily at the moment.
              Simono mentioned a shot primer, how do you know its shot and what should a normal one act like?

Interested
              Ronnie
              4-5 presses to solid sounds o.k providing that after 5 minutes or so that it is STILL FIRM... actually they like that too
              Sorry to be funny !!
              Mine would not hold the prime ( the firmness ) and that caused me all sorts of head aches along with duff battery ,clogged injectors and burnt out glow plugs.
              Simon.O.
              '90 SSR Ltd 2.4TD 5 spd

Comment

Simono, how did you sort it?

Mine seems to want to be pumped everytime I take her out, just like my missus really.
                please advise.....on the fuel pump that is.

Comment

hi,
                  try checking the line from the pump to the fuel filter if not damage,thentry changing the fuel filter. I think that my be ur problem, because i had the same problem.......... try and tell us..

Comment

Obviously the fuel lines must be in good order
                    Also check the "banjo" fittings, these are the brass fittings at the end of the Fuel lines on the side of the fuel filter assembly.
                    I agree to check the seal on the top of the fuel filter too.
                    If it is TOO TIGHT it can weep which can cause a loss of prime.

As for HER .............no, I'm going to keep my mouth shut for once
                    Simon.O.
                    '90 SSR Ltd 2.4TD 5 spd

Comment

Working...
                    X