Advice/opinion on oil leek from sump or crank seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice/opinion on oil leek from sump or crank seal

Hi all, I have had a persistent oil leek, since I got my surf and after checking the engine thoroughly I have come to the conclusion that its one of the above seeping oil, not a great amount but enough to be a pain as in every where I park I leave little oil spots.
    I ttok it to a local garage and he confirmed it was one of the two but either job would be about £350-400 to sort because of the labour involved. His advice was "its not that bad, just keep you eye on the level, your trucks only worth 1200 so it would be an uneconomical repair to do the sump seal only to find it is the crank that is leaking, just park in front of someone else's house.

Ive searched for similar stuff on here and folks dont seem to be fazed by the work involved. Snags are I live in a flat so not much in the way of tools other than socket sets and joinery stuff, Im happy to attempt it but whats involved, the mechanic says the axle has to be dropped for one job and the gear box disconnected for the other.

Do I live with it for the time being, save up and foot the bill or is it not to bad to attempt myself ?

Many thanks, Chris

Mine does that and i will get it fixed one day as the seal will continue to degrade and just get worse......but for the moment when i change the oil i put some oil thickener (stp i think it is) and that seems to stop it for a good while (only a drip here and there) and if you are worried about the marks on the drive/garage (i have tiles on the floor of the garage (i know but not anything to do with me) put down a drip tray with some cat litter on it, works just as good as spill sorb).
    The sh$t gets deeper ...but still swimming

Comment

i had the same problem, and when my gearbox had to be replaced mechanic change crankcase seal at the same to for no charge!!!!

just charged me for the 7 litres or so of atf and labour.....

Comment

Cheers for that Wiggy will try some stp. I live by the beach and our car park has plenty of sand in it so the oil soaked up by that, but I think a drip tray is in order.

Comment

Working...
        X