Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission noise while idling

Hi all,
    I have a 89 2.4TD Hilux that just loves to suck the money out of my wallet. I have a new concern now about some transmission noise that is developing. It is hard to tell if it is new, because my dual-mass flywheel was breaking up for a while and was pretty noisy, but after i could afford to replace it, i feel like the transmission is making some pretty good noise. It doesn't happen when the clutch is pressed it, just when I take my foot off the clutch. If i rev it, the noise is still there, but just speeds up. It sounds like a bearing or something that is turning roughly. I've just finished fitting a new head and flywheel on this truck, and am really not looking forward to spending more on the transmission.

Has anybody else dealt with this before? I'm going to change the gear box and tranny fluids this week and the pump all the grease nipples full to see if that helps at all, but any other suggestions would be very appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris

i think its called the thrust bearing thats causing the problem.Ideally it would of been best to replace it when the gearbox was out doing the dmfw.Scroll to the bottom of this page and have a read through some of the links as they state the problems
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

did you replace it with a solid flywheel or anotehr dual mass one? the solid flywheel convertion is noiser than the dual mass one for some reason, in the same ways you mentioned above.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
        the solid flywheel convertion is noiser than the dual mass one for some reason
        That reason would be why they were developed with a dual mass system; it's an easy way to reduce torsional vibration. But I can't see how replacing it with a single mass flywheel would make it sound like a rough bearing - I could believe extra vibrations matched to engine speed, but his stops when he drops the clutch...
        Andy
        http://www.surfingafrica.net

Comment

Originally posted by adpsimpson View Post
          That reason would be why they were developed with a dual mass system; it's an easy way to reduce torsional vibration. But I can't see how replacing it with a single mass flywheel would make it sound like a rough bearing - I could believe extra vibrations matched to engine speed, but his stops when he drops the clutch...
          I agree, but it does... lol.

A knackered thrust bearing will mostly make its noises when the clutch is pressed (unless its loose on the fork and just rattling), not when foot is off the clutch.

Its almost as if the extra vibes from the solid flywheel are rattling the input shaft of the gearbox.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I had it replaced with a solid flywheel I ordered from Milners. Is the thrust bearing the same as the throwout bearing? I'm pretty sure that was replaced, as it came with a full clutch kit. I'm going to go for a full transfer case and tranny oil change this weekend and see if that does anything.
            Thanks for the replies

Chris

Comment

Working...
            X