yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2L-TE dead after manual glow plug wiring (not fried plugs, ECU scramble possible)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2L-TE dead after manual glow plug wiring (not fried plugs, ECU scramble possible)

My ’91 2L-TE in my Surf is dead, and I’m afraid I know the cause… I was wiring up my glow plugs to be manually controlled (super glow only, to be run a few seconds at a time using duty cycle, switched on/off by a heavy duty winch solenoid). Anyhow, being ignorant of the fact that the computer isolates itself during the typical glow plug activation to avoid being affected by the draw of the plugs, I believe I’ve scrambled or damaged my ECU. It worked just fine after the initial install for the drive home, then abruptly quit the next morning, from what I can tell, due to a lack of fuel to the injectors as I can crank to no end but get absolutely no white smoke from fuel or signs of life from the engine.

Its seeming a lot like a fuel cut solenoid has been triggered. I’m brand new to this vehicle, but reasonably handy, so hopefully I can get it sorted. Out of pure frustration, I bought a 2L-IIT mechanical injection pump, and all the components to convert over to a 2LII-T. This was my immediate reaction, frustration at the old electrics, and I’m no electrics guy. Then, going through my receipts, I found the current electronic pump is essentially new, the previous owner having just installed it. I’d like to get some mileage out of it in such case, so to speak. Where would you start looking, does this sound anything like something you’ve experienced with your 2L-TE? Is there a "safe mode" to run the engine in, just to get you on the road?

Thanks so much! Looking forward to getting this thing rolling, learning more about it, and actually adding advice to the forum not just more questions. It amazes me people will go to such trouble to help strangers, I’ll certainly be taking the time to do the same when I can. In any case, if I give up and go to mechanical injection, I’ll document the conversion with pictures and observations for the benefit of the board.

Angus

There is the possibilty of you blowing the ecu.Disconnect the batteries for 15 mins to see if that will reset the ecu.If you find the ecu is knackered and you require a replacement give me a shout as i'm willing to send one if its needed
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Will do, appreciate it and will get back to you, hopefully the ECU can sort itself out. Fingers crossed...

Comment

Working...
      X