X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thats the cv joint Al inside the gaitor
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

I assume the fluid is OK and topped up? Is it frothing when the engine is running?

Comment

It's not the CV joint! That has nothing to do with the steering. Even if it was, it would either be gubbed or OK, it wouldn't be gubbed now and again.

Tighten the belt first.
        Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Re: Power steering problemUPDATE!
          SORRY for the misleading title, it turns out it's not the power steering!!!!!!!!!!

Just been back to my mate's garage, managed to get it to clunk while he had his head under it!(after 15 minutes of trying)
          He is of the same opinion as me--The noise comes from the back of the wheel somewhere.
          So big trolley jack....lift it...check for play in the wheel (there is a little play in the wheel bearing)
          Then wheel off ....jiggle everything about....NO NOISE!
          The only thing we could find was this..

working back from the hub (drivers side) theres the outer cv (seems fine, but cant be sure)
          then a shaft
          then the inner cv (again seems fine)
          then there is a "thingymajig" with a bolted flange at the back of it that then goes to the diff!
          This bit with the flange on is very loose, you can rattle it around with your hand!

SO
          Could this be the cause of the clunk (it only happens during the right combination of right hand steering and wheel rotation)
          What is it
          Should it have lots of play in it??????????

Thanks
          Al
          www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

Does it 'clunk' when in 4wd and turning corners? (on a slippery surface obviously)

Comment

Dont know yet Vince, cant find anywher slippery to check.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                Does it 'clunk' when in 4wd and turning corners? (on a slippery surface obviously)
                Still have'nt had a chance to find out yet Vince, but........
                when it started snowing this morning i was thinking, maybe i could get the truck out in the white stuff later and answer your question.
                Then i had a thought!!!!!!!!!!!
                If its on a slippery surface, the tyres wont bite, so there will be no resistance at the wheel, ( the equivalent of jacking the wheel off the tarmac ) so the proplem wont happen! (i'm assuming) as it doesnt happen when on a jack!!

Any suggestions!
                really need to fix it soon as the earache from SWMBO is getting to me!

Cheers
                Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                  That's too much play for that wee belt. There should be next to no play in it.
                  Toyota's manual says 9-11mm for a used belt

Comment

It's not the CV joint! That has nothing to do with the steering. Even if it was, it would either be gubbed or OK, it wouldn't be gubbed now and again.

Tighten the belt first.

Car all back together now after a succesful strip down/investigate/repair
                    IT WAS THE CV JOINT
                    When the wheel is at a certain rotation and the steering is turned in a certain direction, the cv joint will lock-up, as it is dry as a bone and well on its way out!

Comment

Originally posted by tintin View Post
                      Car all back together now after a succesful strip down/investigate/repair
                      IT WAS THE CV JOINT
                      When the wheel is at a certain rotation and the steering is turned in a certain direction, the cv joint will lock-up, as it is dry as a bone and well on its way out!
                      Given the information & description you gave, my diagnosis was, in my opinion, corect. It was made with no malice intended. In my 35 years in the motor industry, I have never known a CV joint to present the symptoms you described. But we live and learn.

I suppose this is an example of how things can be take out of context when being described rather than seen.

I am however a bit niggled at you for quoting only my reply, I wasn't the only one that thought it wasn't the CV Joint.

Comment

Toyota's manual says 9-11mm for a used belt
                        Link please? It's nonsense to say that all used belts should have the same amount of play.

I stand by what Vince and I say, that belt should be tight and have next to no play in it.

And again, why only quote me?

Comment

Link please? It's nonsense to say that all used belts should have the same amount of play.

I stand by what Vince and I say, that belt should be tight and have next to no play in it.

And again, why only quote me?
                          From my LN series manual.......(hope you appreciate all the effort, had to convert it from PDF and upload it to show you)

The heading on this page will show you What Manual!!

As for why single you out!!!!
                          Take a look back through the posts
                          You are the only one who said "its not the cv joint"
                          Everybody else posted links or advice to help me find or eliminate the problem, you on the other hand adopted your usual pedantic high handed moral stance that as an ex spanner monkey you above all others would be right!!
                          """Given the information & description you gave, my diagnosis was, in my opinion, corect. It was made with no malice intended. In my 35 years in the motor industry, I have never known a CV joint to present the symptoms you described. But we live and learn.

I suppose this is an example of how things can be take out of context when being described rather than seen."""

If there is insufficient information for you to form an opinion why reply with such a final statement??

Comment

From my LN series manual.......(hope you appreciate all the effort, had to convert it from PDF and upload it to show you)

I appreciate the effort, however it was wasted. That's the deflection figure for the alternator belt, which has much longer runs than the PS pump belt.

And I stand by what I said, it did not present like a CV joint issue, given your post title and description, I thought it was the pump belt coming loose.

I do take on board your criticism and I'll await a full and frank symptom description before I attempt to diagnose problems for other members in the future.

Comment

Sorry.... the screen capture has cut off the top half of the page which as you'll see is where the written detail continues.......

Last edited by tintin; 3 March 2010, 09:01.

Comment

Sorry.... the screen capture has cut off the top half of the page which as you'll see is where the written detail continues.......
                                Wow! That's a lot of play for a silly wee belt. I still stand by what Vince and I said about that belt though. It has to be tight, 12mm (which is beyond their maximum deflection) is way too much for a belt that short.

Comment

Working...
                                X