Power Loss from turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Loss from turbo

I got my surf back from the garage on Saturday and limped home. To be fair to the garage did check their work thoroughly. I've now got this loss of turbo power. The garage phoned Toyota who said for them to check the wastegate. They put on a pressure tester on the wastegate which seemed to be working ok but the pipe feeding the gate wasn't producing any pressure. When i'm driving the turbo light is not coming on at 2000Rpm like it used to, it seems to kick in at different times.
    At what point in the turbos working does the turbo light come on? Is it when the pressure from the turbo is enough to start the compressor? The impellor on the air intake has about 2/3mm play. I've checked the pipes and leads, all connected. I think that the engine is chipped, as it has a small box with sports wiring written on it (not sure what this does, whether this is causing a prob).
    Love the surf still, but she is beginning to annoy me!

Check out the following post, had a similar thing happen to me a year ago, driving down the highway and loss of power, no turbo, became very slow and nasty to drive, all it was was a loose hose. sounds like similar symptons, check all hoses around the throttle. If the wastegate is not getting any pressure thats why.
    http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=6013
    cheers
    Dan.

Comment

I saw that and checked it at lunch. all seems to be in the right place.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnabyp
        The impellor on the air intake has about 2/3mm play. I've checked the pipes and leads, all connected. I think that the engine is chipped, as it has a small box with sports wiring written on it

Well, ignore the box. It's a relay for your spotlights.
        3mm play is a lot in a turbo. Do you mean with the intake pipe off you can push/pull the compressor wheel or wiggle it from side to side. With that much play I'd be suprised if you haven't damaged the wheel. Damaged compressor blades result in low/no boost. I'd check your turbo---> manifold pipe, I bet you it's full of oil from through your turbo oil seals.

I still don't get why most of you don't have a boost gauge.
        91 SSR ltd 2.4td Wine over grey. Currently on head #2.
        89 Mazda MX6 2.2 lt turbo.

Comment

I went into Halfords last night, they had a spray 'diesel 10k' that you can spray directly into the air inlet of the turbo. This is suppost to clear any unwanted crap in the turbo. it could also be used in other areas of the engine. It was £20.00, does any one know if its worth trying? Another alternative is a local guy who does onsite tuning. and also turbotechnics in Northhampton. But they seem to be the expensive last resort.
          It definately feels more like a blockage.

Comment

Working...
          X