Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Leak - Behind manifold

Hey folks,
    My '91 Surf decided to start leaking fuel yesterday morning. I've tried searching the forum for the solution with no luck.

My mechanic had a good look around today and came to the conclusion that the leak was coming from behind the manifold. In order to find the leak he has to take the manifold off.
    Has anybody come across this problem before? If there is a solution I would love to know as I'm driving to france on friday evening and need it back ASAP.

Oh and I've recently started running on veg oil. Around 50% diesel 10% unleaded and 40% veg.

Hope someone can help!

Thanks

its probably the fuel pump lid seals, veg oil often hardens the old rubber o-rings and its quiet common when switching to veg.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I take it thats a PITA to sort? Also how hard is it to get hold of the seals?

Comment

No fuel goes through the manifold so why remove it. Look elsewhere. Injectors, fuel lines and pump as stated above.

Nev

Comment

Roughtrax or Milners do pump seals.

If its an EFI truck its easy, if its not then its more of a pain as more bits to remove to get to the lid bolts.

You can change the lid seal with the pump in place, and also an oval cover near the bottom on the outside, if its coving rorm a cover on the inside, then the pump needs to come out.

If your sure there fuel above the pump, then it maybe the fuel return pipe, this sits om top of the injectors and links them all up and goes to the top of the pump.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Hey guys,

Sorry for not replying sooner, I did end up driving to france after all, with the leak! My mechanic told me it wasnt that bad. It only leaks if it running idle or once the engine is switched off. It would stop leaking once the fuel return pipe has emptied. So I would assume that its coming from the fuel return pipe.

I think I'm going to make do with the leak whilst I'm over here. I'm not using her often so I should be alright, unless someone advises otherwise.

Thanks for the reply tony, much appreciated.

Comment

i wonder if the fuel leak off pipe that runs from each injector is damaged and then causing fuel to run behind the manifold like the mechanic says
              https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

I have had the seals on injection pumps leak before with vegetable oil, though with the mixture you describe, I doubt that is the problem. I have found that as little as 10% diesel, 90% vegetable oil doesn't affect the seals. If it is the vegetable oil causing the leak, try letting the level in the tank drop well down and refilling with diesel. In my experience, the seals usually stop leaking when the vegetable oil is rinsed off them again.

Comment

Originally posted by mancubas View Post
                  Hey guys,

Sorry for not replying sooner, I did end up driving to france after all, with the leak! My mechanic told me it wasnt that bad. It only leaks if it running idle or once the engine is switched off. It would stop leaking once the fuel return pipe has emptied. So I would assume that its coming from the fuel return pipe.

I think I'm going to make do with the leak whilst I'm over here. I'm not using her often so I should be alright, unless someone advises otherwise.

Thanks for the reply tony, much appreciated.
                  hi dont want to sound like a but its not a good idea to have oil leaking on the road, bikers on here will tell you
                  JAP4X4PART ¬ THE BIGGEST SURF BREAKER IN THE UK ¬

Comment

Hey guys,
                    Sorry for dragging up an old thread but the leak is still there. I havnt been driving round with the leak you'll be pleased to know
                    So, the leak is definately veggie oil related. As soon as I run her on veg she starts to leak, but when I switch back over to regular diesel it stops.
                    I'm gettin my mechanic to check it out. As far as I can gather from previous posts the leak is coming from either the injectors, fuel lines and the pump.
                    Is there anywhere else I should be looking at?

Thanks for any help and I'll be sure to let you know how I get on.

Comment

My Money's on the IP seals as already stated ..... ay Tony

Jess
                      "Cos short cuts can cost more in the long run"
                      Buncefield Burner

Comment

IP seals? Sorry I dont speak mechanic

Comment

IP=Injector Pump
                          https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Working...
                          X