Suspension setting..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspension setting..........

Ok guys my last ques for now. I have a hard or norm setting switch on the dash. I prefer to use the hard setting for every day use, is it ok to do so? And how exactly does this switch work
    cheers...........muncher

Originally posted by muncher
    Ok guys my last ques for now. I have a hard or norm setting switch on the dash. I prefer to use the hard setting for every day use, is it ok to do so? And how exactly does this switch work
    cheers...........muncher
    Use it in whichever setting you prefer, personal preference. Many advocate only using Hard when fully laden or off-roading but its up to you. This alters the damper rating on the shocks which are electrically adjustable. On 3rd Gens this applies to both front and rear, not so sure about 2nd Gens but think it may only be on the rear.

Tip: Fill in your vehicle details in your profile to help us respond with info relevent to your vehicle.
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

2nd gens front and rear as well - or at least it was on mine
      Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Originally posted by Gamedawn
        2nd gens front and rear as well - or at least it was on mine
        Same here.

muncher

If you use hard setting all the time maybe your shocks need replacing.I'm using hard setting on mine at the moment because front shocks make me feel like I'm on a roller coaster.Replacing as soon as I decide which way to go.

Neville

Comment

Thanks

The ride is fine in norm setting only i like the stability of the hard setting when i'm pushing it on road. I just woundered if keeping it in hard all the time would wear something out quicker.
          As for the info: I have a 1993, K plate 2nd gen auto 2.4Turbo Diesel, ssr-x.
          I am the first uk owner it's totally immac, the carpets, under the covers,have never seen a dirty smelly shoe! It seems a shame to off road it but that is what i bought it for. I would like to know what the official name is for the colour, it's a sort of metalic jade green/grey.
          If i can beg/borrow/steel a camera i'll post some pics
          Thanks for the help......muncher

Comment

The system is a not very clever adaptation of the TEMS active suspension that is fitted to other Toyotas like Camrys and TownAces. There is a small motor on the top of each shock absorber and when you select either hard or soft with the interior switch the motor rotates the inner section of the shock piston rod 90 degrees which opens or closes a valve.

The color of your car sounds like Forest Green (code 6J7) or maybe Jewel Green (don't remember the code for this)

Comment

Hard mode is supposed to be used for the higher speeds, such as on motorways to provide extra stability, and also for off-roading. If you do not use hard mode for off-roading you may damage your suspension.

Comment

Originally posted by The Typsey Russell
                Hard mode is supposed to be used for the higher speeds, such as on motorways to provide extra stability, and also for off-roading. If you do not use hard mode for off-roading you may damage your suspension.
                I actually think that Soft is better for offroad, allows your suspension to react better to slow speed undulations allowing more control. A Lot of people will use worn springs and soft shockers on heavily modified off roaders - even ones with multiple shocks per corner. Hard setting will tend to put more stresses through vulnerable suspension components when taken off road as there is more resistance to movement.

On road, either will not cause more damage than the other - unless you are in Egypt or somewhere like that where the road surface is more like an offroad course.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                X