X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoke when hot??

Hi guys, I got probs with my truck.
    I think it may be a dodgey injector but will run symptoms by you all,

It starts in the mornings (just) after abit of cranking over and 3 or 4 heats,
    when she does fire up i get a cloud of black smoke then she is fine, runs smooth with power and no unexpecting noises.

HOWEVER. . . . .

Let her warm up for 10-15 mins and its a totally different kettle of fish!!
    On tick over it runs low and start to smoke brown/grey with a hint of black.lol.
    Slightly tap the throttle and bring the rev's up abit and you can hear a sudden rattle from the top end somewhere and disappers as soon as you hear it. With a puff of black smoke and a total loss of power.

leave it to tick over with 'idle-up' on and its totally fine no smoke or noises. but still no power after warm and smoking when driven warm.

It has new filters when I got the truck 3 weeks ago and smoke problem only just started today, I know I need new glow plugs for the winter but the smoke and strange noises are becoming a concern. PLEASE HELP!!
    Thanks in advance.
    Danny..

Any idea when the timing belt was done?

Nev

Comment

Not that i can remember what the guy i got it off said, and did not get any service history, I just changed all the filters myself and has been fine until today.

Comment

Best thing to do is remove the T/B cover and check. Your problems could be timing related and not knowing T/B history you risk destroying the engine. There
        is no other choice as far as I can see.

Nev

Comment

ok thanks nev I will check tomorrow and let you know
          cheers.

Comment

If the problems occur when the engine is up to temperature, I would suspect the EFI/coolant sensor under the inlet manifold isn't sending the signal to the ECU to lean-off the fuel delivery, hense the smoke.

Glow plugs could be at the end of their life too.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
              If the problems occur when the engine is up to temperature, I would suspect the EFI/coolant sensor under the inlet manifold isn't sending the signal to the ECU to lean-off the fuel delivery, hense the smoke.

Glow plugs could be at the end of their life too.
              I read that somewhere on here and was thinking as a possible cause, along with an injector.
              could this sensor also make it hard to start??
              When cranking over it feels like fuel not there, running back to tank? because it dont sound like it wants to fire til about 15-20 seconds of turning over.
              Or could this be TOO much fuel? until cylinders get warm enough to ignite all that juice?
              Just a theory but correct me if im well over the mark.
              cheers danny.

Comment

Working...
              X