Part-cured...but still weird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Part-cured...but still weird

I recently posted on here (drive, speedo and dash lights) where I had a few problems (thanks to Bushwhacker for the response).

Basically the problem was in 3 parts: the speedo stopped working, when in D there was lots of revving but no movement, and finally I lost most of the ignition-related lights on the dash when I first put the key in to start.

I checked around the truck and decided after some playing that my batteries needed charging. Both suitably charged I tried again - nothing changed.

After a good visual check last night (of the batteries) I decided that one of the batteries was knackered and needed replacing. I duly coughed up 50 quid this morning and got a replacement, put it on the car and - nothing different.

Finally after an hour trawling around the site I decided to use the diagnostic socket and see what fault codes I got. I linked out pins TE1 & E1 put the key in waiting for the codes to start flashing at me and GOT THE DASH LIGHTS BACK! Amazing.

Next I gave the truck a quick run and the oomph is back when in D.

The speedo needle is still sat firmly on 0 but at least the rest is working. My only question is....why and how?
    And some that smile have in their hearts, I fear, millions of mischiefs

perhaps the ECU got reset when you swapped the battery over??

Comment

I was wondering that, but just putting the battery on, and leaving it on for about 2 hours didn;t make an iota of difference. Not until I shorted out the diagnostic pins.

Don't know if anyone knows if you can 'force' an ECU to reset?

Comment

It might be worth doing the following:
        disconnect both +ve terminals on the batteries.
        Switch the headlamps to on
        leave for about 8-10 hours.
        This should drain out the capacitors within the ecu, and reset the ecu to its factory settings...well worth a go.

good luck.
        Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Sort of did that sunday night when I took the batteries off to charge them. Don't know if the knackered battery was upsetting the apple cart by being .... er...knackered. But disconnected overnight didnt make any difference then.

Comment

Maybe not, but leaving the headlights on opens acircuit for the capacitance to discharge via.
            Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Working...
            X