Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear crank seal

Hello fellow surf owners

I bought my surf last month after spending much time looking for one that wasn't sold!!I'm really happy with it and would't change it for anything.I'd noticed it was leaking oil, not much but enough to make a mess of the underside.
    I took it to the garage tuesday and they sadly informed me that the rear crank seal had worn and they had to recondition the gearbox with a new torque converter!!Gutted.
    Does anyone out there know the damage to my wallet,as the warranty might not cover this problem.

Surf's up...

Originally posted by rhyso
    Hello fellow surf owners

I bought my surf last month after spending much time looking for one that wasn't sold!!I'm really happy with it and would't change it for anything.I'd noticed it was leaking oil, not much but enough to make a mess of the underside.
    I took it to the garage tuesday and they sadly informed me that the rear crank seal had worn and they had to recondition the gearbox with a new torque converter!!Gutted.
    Does anyone out there know the damage to my wallet,as the warranty might not cover this problem.

Surf's up...
    The damage to the wallet would be considerable. Fight for it to be done under warranty. By law you get a 3 month warranty and if the crank seal, gearbox and torque converter have gone in a month then it is not wear and tear. It was sold in unsatifactory condition. If it was a clutch they moght have a case but even so 1 month is too short a time for it to be wear and tear.

If you have to pay, think of at least £700 - £800 total. Probably £300 to recon the box, £150-£200 for a torque converter and a whole lot of labour, probably in excess of 10 hours.

Fight your corner, you have a case, threaten them with trading standards if they won't play ball.

Cheers and good luck.
    Last edited by lucky; 28 May 2004, 15:36.

Comment

Thanks Andy

I will fight the case for sure.I just needed another opinion.

Cheers mate
      Rhyso

Comment

crank seal

Originally posted by rhyso
        Hello fellow surf owners

Surf's up...

Why did they have to recon the G/box just because the rear crank seal had gone? it should not have affected the G/box or Converter, it doesn't make sense, you should question their action and try and find out why they have come to this conclusion.
        Cheers Steve.

Comment

Working...
        X