Essex repair work???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Essex repair work???

Here's assuming the worst about my cooling problems...

If it is my water pump/gasket/head that is knackered, can anyone suggest a garage or individual that won't charge me the national budget of a small country to repair it? I'd like to think I'm not a tight b@stard but having a surf and a defender has taken its toll on the pocket recently!

Originally posted by TorchTheRed
    Here's assuming the worst about my cooling problems...

If it is my water pump/gasket/head that is knackered, can anyone suggest a garage or individual that won't charge me the national budget of a small country to repair it? I'd like to think I'm not a tight b@stard but having a surf and a defender has taken its toll on the pocket recently!
    What are you like on the Spanners. Changing the head / gasket / water pump is not a difficult job, just time consuming. You get the knowledge that you have done it correct and you will save about 700 queens pictures by doing it yourself. Changing a Head is going to cost you about 1500 - 1800 pounds to get someone to do it as it is around a 12 - 14 hour job. I did mine recently and Nigel (Koi) and I did his.

You can get a new head / bolts / gasket set for around £700 all in.

Water pump will be a piece of p**s compared to that plus you get the chance to change the timing belt while you are at it.

I'd offer to do it myself but things are starting to ramp up at work and I can't afford the time, but I'd certainly offer advice over the phone.

Cheers

Comment

Thanks a lot Andy!

I'm okay on the spanners - do the maintenance/repairs on the Landy myself although I must say there is just a slight difference between an 86 normally aspirated diesel and the surf (said with tongue firmly in cheek). For example, Murphey law says the Landy's water pump is on the way out - 10 minutes and the cowl, fan and pulley were off and I had free access to the pump. Looking at the Hilux I think it might take a bit longer than that! Hey-ho, its all part of the learning curve, eh!

I have a free weekend this weekend to try and determine what the problem is. Could I give you a brief ring tomorrow before I start doing some investigation and get some pointers/hints/tell-tail signs/advice from you?

Thanks again
      Graeme

Comment

Working...
      X