Burning Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burning Oil

Does anyone know how to reduce the amount of oil being used. I didn't have this problem until I had my cylinder head changed a couple of months ago, now the oil is coming out of the air intake and leaving a mess on my drive
    At least my oil is changed/topped up reguarly

Originally posted by sinky45 View Post
    Does anyone know how to reduce the amount of oil being used. I didn't have this problem until I had my cylinder head changed a couple of months ago, now the oil is coming out of the air intake and leaving a mess on my drive
    At least my oil is changed/topped up reguarly
    Hi Sinky,

You mean it's leaking oil not burning it,
    the cam cover gasket is the most favourite
    place for a leak, after a head change, 'cause
    the mechanics dont seal it correctly, the air intake
    prob is most likely a split in intake hose, change it
    for a silicone one and make sure the clips are tight.
    Hope this helps.

Gman.
    If it aint broke, keep goin' till it is.

Comment

Possibly but I asked this question differently and this is the reply I received:

Originally posted by dannyboy77 View Post
      the oil is coming from the vent hose that goes from the cylinder head / valve cover to the air inlet. excess oil vapours go through this cool and go back to fluid oil in the air inlet. i assume your surf is burning a lot of oil or its over filled?
      but I'll get the cam cover checked out after payday. cheers

______________________________ ______________________________ _____Always expect the worst and you'll never be disappointed!

Comment

Originally posted by GRASSMAN View Post
        Hi Sinky,

You mean it's leaking oil not burning it,
        the cam cover gasket is the most favourite
        place for a leak, after a head change, 'cause
        the mechanics dont seal it correctly, the air intake
        prob is most likely a split in intake hose, change it
        for a silicone one and make sure the clips are tight.
        Hope this helps.

Gman.
        checked the hoses and they are fine but is definately using alot of oil. Excess oil is coming from the engine into the air intake hose and then liquefying and dripping into the actual air intake filter housing and covering the filter where it is settling at the bottom before coming out of the little bladder at the bottom of the filter housing which obviously looks like a leak.

The engine is never over filled with oil, I always keep it between the high and low marks. It is however using a hell of alot of oil since the head was changed and the amount coming from the intake is not that much but I would like to know how to stop this from happening.

If anybody could shed some light on the scene for me it would be greatly appreciated. I'm gutted cause I never had a problem with it until the head went and it's starting to look like a scrappage deal in the new year which is a shame cause I love it.

Comment

Right, I've been having a look at other posts for similar things and these are what I've come up with.

I get white smoke on start up which could be from water/condensation this is only if left overnight or for a couple of hours, however what I do to stop the equivelant of a smoke grenade is to warm the glow plugs up about 10 times before turning the engine over and this stops/reduces the cloud significantly.

Injectors- My injectors could be on their way out but I don't know if this could affect the amount of oil being used plus at every fill up I add RedEx diesel treatment.

Catch pot- Haven't a clue where you get one but could do with one.

Timing belt- all my belts were changed with the new head however on reading one post it said that they may have been lined up wrongly but I haven't noticed a major drop in power.

Turbo seals- could be due for renewal but would this cause the engine to use loads of oil????

I have since changed the 2 air intake hose going from the air filter to the turbo
          Last edited by sinky45; 7 October 2009, 19:33.

Comment

Working...
          X