Over flow bottle full, help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over flow bottle full, help!

had my Surf for nearly a year now and been lucky so far with the head problems.
    I have just come back from devon (Porlock) which has the steepest hill in the UK, all was fine until then, the temp gauge went up but only by a little bit, I heard the fan cut in and the temperature went down to the normal middle mark very quickly, my heart was beating a bit, head pobs oh no!!!! and on holiday.
    On arriving at the campsite some 5 miles on, the Surf was then parked up for the next two days.
    When we decided to leave, I thought best check oil and water levels, which I do on every journey that is more that 30 miles.
    I noticed that the water expansion bottle was full and the level in the rad cap was low on coolant.
    I topped up the engine and left the expansion bottle full. I then drove home 200 miles with no probems at all, when the engine cooled, I checked the water level in the rad cap, it was low! the expansion bottle was still full, I removed the expansion bottle and put what was in the bottle back in the engine filler cap, when that was full, what was left in the bottle was the correct level ??? so very little fluid was lost, no more than a small glass tumbler full, I have taken the Surf for a short journey and will let it cool overnight, I will then check it before I go out to work in the morning and see what has happened to the level.
    I hope this is not a start for the head problems or just a little hiccup.
    Any suggestions? anyone.
    I will post tomorrow on the fluid level.

overflow probs

Just went out to check on engine coolant, was a tad low, topped up, started engine which a still warm but not hot, shut of engine and checked fluid in engine, when I took cap off, it spurted out and was quite frothy, me thinks that is not good? what you think.

Comment

Just sounds like you either have a very small leak somewhere or the rad cap isn't sealing properly and letting air in rather than sucking coolant back in when cooling down. Replace the rad cap and check all the hoses and clamps very carefully for leaks. Remember that it could be a small leak in a hot place so the water evaporates before you see any drips (look for water marks) etc.

Cheers
      Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
        Just sounds like you either have a very small leak somewhere or the rad cap isn't sealing properly and letting air in rather than sucking coolant back in when cooling down. Replace the rad cap and check all the hoses and clamps very carefully for leaks. Remember that it could be a small leak in a hot place so the water evaporates before you see any drips (look for water marks) etc.

Cheers
        Rob

Agree, start with stat as well. When my head went I would use 2+ litres of water to top it up after a 10 mile journey. So if you have driven very long distances and only losy a glass full I would start to look elswhere first as suggested.
        Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
        My choice
        Back off

Comment

expansion tank, engine numbers.

Hi all...... I liked reading the replies, it settled my nerves LOL.
          I have checked the water today after a journey and let it go cold, and it was as normal, engine rad cap still full and the 50mm of fluid in the expansion tank.
          I have just changed the engine (rad cap) with a new one, I do have a thermostat but not fitted that as yet.
          I have read on the forum some time ago, about there are certain engine numbers that are exempt from the head problem, well my number fell in that bracket, has anyone elses head need to be replaced, where their head falls in that bracket of numbers that are exempt?

Comment

Originally posted by snowwolf
            Hi all...... I liked reading the replies, it settled my nerves LOL.
            I have checked the water today after a journey and let it go cold, and it was as normal, engine rad cap still full and the 50mm of fluid in the expansion tank.
            I have just changed the engine (rad cap) with a new one, I do have a thermostat but not fitted that as yet.
            I have read on the forum some time ago, about there are certain engine numbers that are exempt from the head problem, well my number fell in that bracket, has anyone elses head need to be replaced, where their head falls in that bracket of numbers that are exempt?
            Yep mine was. However from what you have just said I don't think you have a head problem. Once they start to give a problem, it doesn't go away and your's seem fine now. I'd fit the thermostat as soon as you can though.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
              Yep mine was. However from what you have just said I don't think you have a head problem. Once they start to give a problem, it doesn't go away and your's seem fine now. I'd fit the thermostat as soon as you can though.

Cheers
              as was mine, not so sure on the origins of that document and how conprehensive it is, perhaps it should be the other way round???

My 4x4
              My choice
              Back off

Comment

the rad cap should never let coolant or air back in... cap opens at 0.9 bar excess cooolant flows into the tank... when the pressure drops it closes and thats it... it wont bring back the expelled coolant into the system.

if it's low in the cap just poor back in the expelled coolant from the expansion tank.

TRD do a higher pressure cap (1.5 Bar) which means you loose less coolant... we use these a lot on the 4AGZE engine thats used in the MR2 when fitted with a big supercharger pulley.

Originally posted by Rob

Cheers
                Rob
                [FONT=Trebuchet MS][B][SIZE=2]1993 SSR-X 2.4TD[/SIZE][/B][/FONT]

Comment

Shish wrote -

"the rad cap should never let coolant or air back in... cap opens at 0.9 bar excess cooolant flows into the tank... when the pressure drops it closes and thats it... it wont bring back the expelled coolant into the system."

Air - No (providing there is coolant in expansion tank)

Coolant - Yes

Radiator caps have a small one way valve in centre of cap to allow coolant to be drawn back in as engine cools.

Neville

Comment

Originally posted by Shish
                    the rad cap should never let coolant or air back in... cap opens at 0.9 bar excess cooolant flows into the tank... when the pressure drops it closes and thats it... it wont bring back the expelled coolant into the system.

if it's low in the cap just poor back in the expelled coolant from the expansion tank.

TRD do a higher pressure cap (1.5 Bar) which means you loose less coolant... we use these a lot on the 4AGZE engine thats used in the MR2 when fitted with a big supercharger pulley.
                    So are you saying everytime my engine gets hot and the coolant expands in to the expansion bottle it don't go back in the engine. So every time it expands in the tank I have to tip it manually back in to the engine???????????????????????? ???

My 4x4
                    My choice
                    Back off

Comment

Shish wrote -

"TRD do a higher pressure cap (1.5 Bar) which means you loose less coolant... we use these a lot on the 4AGZE engine thats used in the MR2 when fitted with a big supercharger pulley."

Using a cap with a higher pressure than the cooling system is designed for is just asking for trouble.Stick with the cap that is recommended.

Neville

Comment

thats fair comment given the 2.4 head issues... really it's only needed on modded engines
                        [FONT=Trebuchet MS][B][SIZE=2]1993 SSR-X 2.4TD[/SIZE][/B][/FONT]

Comment

expansion bottle

mmmmm I don't think I would want to add more pressure to the delicate 2.4 cooling system, LOL
                          So will stick to the dedicated cap, like you say, I think the expanded water should be able to get back into the system as it cools down, perhaps the old cap had a problem and did not let it back.
                          I have noticed now the warmer weather is here, that the electric fan comes on when the engine has been turned off and restarted within a short time (5 to 10 mins) it will run for a short time, only about 15 seconds, which I think should be right as the coolant will get hotter in the engine when the engine is shut down.
                          I must admit I was quite impressed when the temperature went up slightly going up porlock hill as it is the longest steepest hill in the UK, thats the first time I have had the temp gauge read anything above the middle mark LOL.
                          as soon as it went over the middle mark the fan cut in and the temp went down straight away back to the middle, it only came on for about 1 minute.
                          I have been checking the level since the new rad cap and it seems to be fine, I think I will have to have another holiday in porlock to see if it happens again. LOL.
                          There is a great camp site I use at porlock called "Pool bridge" it's nestled in a valley on the moores, a bit out the way, but it's such a good site, not many camp sites let you have fires, pool bridge you can! and it's got an ice cold stream that runs through the site which is ideal to keep all the wine and beer ice cold, perhaps we could have a weekend Surf meet there? what you all think.

Comment

over flow bottle full

snow,
                            I think there is a problem of the cooling system and that she's going to start to over heat.replace the rad cap and thremostat,rad hoses.and(2nd) overhaul the radiator and(1st step) power flush your cooling system and replace or add the silicon oil on the fan.and do not use miniral water.when you replace or put the water on the radiator pour (put) it slowly.full open all heater so there will be no air lack on your cooling system.I use blue color long life coolant castrol 2bottles .1and1/2 in the rad 1/2 at the over flow bottle. and also observe if there is a coolant losses and check if there is a leak or pressure test your system.check also the air con fans if it ok.

bai

Comment

Working...
                            X