Flexi pipe to rear exhaust section.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flexi pipe to rear exhaust section.

Was going to replace the rear exhaust section tonight. However i cannot get the bolts undone that secure it to the centre section. I had decided that i would get some new ones tomorrow and simply cut the heads of the existing ones. Then it occured to me that may be they are not nut and bolts and that the nut is actually a captive nut on the flexi section flange? Can anyone confirm this or not?

Tried looking at the pictures on roughtrax and milners web sites but cannot make out whether the center section has captive nuts or not.

Cheers.

I'm sure when I did my exhaust that they were not captive. However I put a new flexi pipe in as well as the rear section.

Rob.

Comment

Cheers,

Think I will just take the chance and cut them off. Bought some new nuts and bolts last night and have an MOT booked for tomorrow. So need to do something!

Comment

If they are captive (and Toyota did that a lot on exhausts) then it is just a case of the nut being welded onto the back. This could be ground off and a new nut and bolt used.

Comment

Originally posted by SoundsDigital View Post
          If they are captive (and Toyota did that a lot on exhausts) then it is just a case of the nut being welded onto the back. This could be ground off and a new nut and bolt used.
          They are captive on the plate that is welded to the center hanger that supports the joint between flexi centre and rear section. And yes i just ground them off and replaced with 10mm nuts, bolts and wasyers.

All done now. Just hope it passes its MOT tomorrow. One small problem was as i got out the pit from behind the car i caught the rear fog light and ripped it off!!! Hopefully can get a new one in the morning.

Comment

My support was actually (badly) welded to the flexi section and I had to grind it off. Thats probably why I don't recall captive studs..

Rob.

Comment

Working...
            X