X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• egr pipe

Hello All,
    i am asking for advice concerning blocking off the egr pipe,
    one thing that puzzles me i'm trying to understand how "injecting "hot exhaust gases back into the engine will lead to lower head temps...surely adding this will raise engine temps ? or am i barking up the wrong tree,
    feedback and an idiot proof explanation most gratefully received
    cheers
    confused
    wiltshire
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

It lowers combustion temperatures because it retards the fuel burn. Less air. EGR gasses are not recycled through the engine all the time though. Only at certain times when the throttle is closed as in decelleration and not at idle because the engines don't like it. EGR is supposed to be good for the environment but they evenually make the engine worse for it because they eventually fail and also clog up the intake with exhaust crap.

Nev
    Last edited by NiftyNev; 21 August 2009, 14:06.

Comment

so do i leave it in or remove it,dont care about the nox levels
      as for my green credentials i have a 4x4 and i am a fridge engineer cant think of a worse combination unless i started using baby penguins for fuel ?

has much of a difference have you noticed in engine performance i am not interested in 1/4 mile but real world driving?

your answers awaited with tin snips and gasket paper in hand
      Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

block it off. and make sure you block the actuator hose off as well,just bend it over and clip a cable tie over the bent bit to close the hose off.
        www.overfab.uk

Comment

Why does the hose need to be tied off too if the inlet to the manifold is blanked off?

Legit question, by the way. I'm curious as to whether I've overlooked something.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
            Why does the hose need to be tied off too if the inlet to the manifold is blanked off?

Legit question, by the way. I'm curious as to whether I've overlooked something.
            look to see where the other end of the hose goes and your question will be answered.
            www.overfab.uk

Comment

ok so the general opinion is the egr is bad for the truck yes?
              but if im right it only operates on decelaration so how can it improve performance,
              i am trying to get the most out of the truck whilst being moderatly sensible,
              the vehicle is regularly serviced with oil and filter every 3,000 miles or 2 months
              again your advice awaited
              Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Working...
              X