The Shroud of Surfin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Shroud of Surfin

If you've had the rad out and then stick it back in and fill it and run the air out - just be sure you refit the shroud BEFORE you hook up the rad hoses and finish the job.

With everything in place the shroud just cannot go back in place coz the fan is in the way and so is the top hose. Dont try taking the fan mech off the pulley coz you cant get the fan mech back in once the shroud is on. Then dont think it'd be a good idea to take the fan blades off the mech and try and squeeze the mech in thru the pipes coz although it will go in, the fan blades wont follow.

If you did all the above of an early evening you would then spend the late evening taking the rad back out altogether, disconnecting the shroud again, bolting back up the fan mech to the pulley, tensioning the alternator tensioner, then dropping the rad back in again, then fitting the shroud top and bottom sections, and then running out of light and putting the rest of till tomorrow...

I got so peed off forgetting put that ?????? shroud on that one day i cut the lower section off it with a hacksaw and now it goes in with very little force as the sides flex in a bit. Just a suggestion!
    Have you got that yoke back together yet? Dying to see it!
    Derek :
    1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
    [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

Originally posted by Delboy
      I got so peed off forgetting put that ?????? shroud on that one day i cut the lower section off it with a hacksaw and now it goes in with very little force as the sides flex in a bit. Just a suggestion!
      Have you got that yoke back together yet? Dying to see it!
      I did the same with mine a long time ago.Cut it off about an inch (25mm) below bottom mounting holes.Bottom section is fairly flat and has little effect on cooling ability anyway.This allows you to leave it out untill everything is checked a running right.Hmmm that reminds me I must put it back in one day.

Neville

Comment

Just to be awkward, I fitted mine after, didn't notice any problems?????????

Left the bottom half of though, its a mud trap.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
          Just to be awkward, I fitted mine after, didn't notice any problems?????????

Left the bottom half of though, its a mud trap.

Probably true to say but after messing the job up just so that I could have the complete shroud on I ended up with what the last section said which is ....

If you did all the above of an early evening you would then spend the late evening taking the rad back out altogether, disconnecting the shroud again, bolting back up the fan mech to the pulley, tensioning the alternator tensioner, then dropping the rad back in again, then fitting the shroud top and bottom sections, and then running out of light and putting the rest of till tomorrow...

Havin fluffed the job not wanting to open the top hose I figured the best thing was whip the lot out, refit the fan and tension it properly, fit the rad, fit the top shroud section, fit the bottom section handy since the bottom hose was off too, fill it up and listen to the sweet tones of the 2.4 diesel

Delboy I'm ready for a return but I have a problem with my nuts ooh ooh almost 4got I have to pick up 2 nifty diff breathers from Toyota - these ones should have enough neck to take a hose and clamp, last little thing then is extend my fuel line from filter to pump by 2"

Last edited by JimL; 20 May 2004, 22:27.

Comment

I did my coolant last August. The radiator shroud is still in the shed. Runs nice and cool still. the only problem is that I have a nice graze healing where I stopped the viscous fan with the back of my hand. I said,"Oh deary me, what have I done, bother!" Honest!
            It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
              I did my coolant last August. The radiator shroud is still in the shed. Runs nice and cool still. the only problem is that I have a nice graze healing where I stopped the viscous fan with the back of my hand. I said,"Oh deary me, what have I done, bother!" Honest!
              I bet you did.

My lower shroud is in my garage and has been since I did the head last august. Seems to serve no usefull purpose apart from drumming up trade for medical supplies manufacturers.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
              X