Okay, okay, I broke it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay, okay, I broke it!

Hi. new owner of a Surf 2.4 1991 (LN130). Had a bit of a mre recently when the radiator blew on the motorway! Cutting a very long story short, the garage managed to 'fix' the cooked engine, but now in the morning I can sit there turning the engine over for almost 2 minutes before it starts. Once it does, grey smoke comes out the back (guessing this is diesel).

Once the car has started first time, it seems fine for the rest of the day and starts straight up unless it's been left for a number of hours. I took it to another garage but they couldn't diagnose the issue (they also cannot access the diagnostics on the EMU as they don't have the tools). In addition to this, the oil pressure fluctuates when you rev the engine (low pressure when idling, half way across the guage when revving).

I'm hoping someone can answer the following 2 questions really:

1. Anyone got any ideas on what's going wrong
    2. Anyone know of a good garage for servicing and diagnosing a fault in the North East (around the Leeds/Harrogate area)??

Any help gratefully received!

Jason

Originally posted by Joe90
    Hi. new owner of a Surf 2.4 1991 (LN130). Had a bit of a mre recently when the radiator blew on the motorway! Cutting a very long story short, the garage managed to 'fix' the cooked engine, but now in the morning I can sit there turning the engine over for almost 2 minutes before it starts. Once it does, grey smoke comes out the back (guessing this is diesel).

Once the car has started first time, it seems fine for the rest of the day and starts straight up unless it's been left for a number of hours. I took it to another garage but they couldn't diagnose the issue (they also cannot access the diagnostics on the EMU as they don't have the tools). In addition to this, the oil pressure fluctuates when you rev the engine (low pressure when idling, half way across the guage when revving).

2. Anyone know of a good garage for servicing and diagnosing a fault in the North East (around the Leeds/Harrogate area)??

Jason
    Welcome to this mad house,
    I think your starting probs sound like your glow plugs are not working for some reason and your oil pressure sounds normal to me. hope this is of some help to you, I'm sure some one else will be able to help a bit more.
    loads of good info on here just use the search for any thing and you will probably find the answer.
    I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

Originally posted by Joe90

Jason

Sounds like the engine glow plug could be the problem with the start up.

Generally, the oil fluctuation is to do with the Pressure and not how low or high the oil is like other vehicles.

I am willing to be corrected....as to the second item, sorry
      Last edited by Gizmo; 19 May 2004, 21:08.
      Gaz

Comment

thanks!

jotto & Gizmo

Thanks for the ideas and the welcome.Since both of you are going for the glow plugs sounds good to me. Any ideas where I can get replacement and where they go on the engine?

I know I sound like a girl, but hey, I didn't start the thread with the colour!

Jason.

Comment

check the glow plug fuse first before spending your money
          (\__/)
          (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
          (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
            check the glow plug fuse first before spending your money
            Once you have checked the fuse , check with the garage as to whether they disturbed any of the wiring or buzz bar on the glow plugs as they may have reassembled the parts incorrectly and 1 the power is not getting to glow plugs or 2 the fuse blew because there is a dead short due to earthing to block , both due to incorrect assembley .

Hope this helps

Rick
            Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
              Once you have checked the fuse , check with the garage as to whether they disturbed any of the wiring or buzz bar on the glow plugs as they may have reassembled the parts incorrectly and 1 the power is not getting to glow plugs or 2 the fuse blew because there is a dead short due to earthing to block , both due to incorrect assembley .

Hope this helps

Rick
              Glow plug fuse is drivers side under bonnet large black box, take off cover 80A fuse.
              Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
              My choice
              Back off

Comment

HI Joe,

Seriously suggest you find out what the garage did to 'fix' the engine..... if they messed with the glowplug feed wiring (probably by accident or to get it out of the way) they are bound to have put it back wrong and blown the fuse... like I did....and like loads of people on here have done !!
                [center][font=Microsoft Sans Serif][size=7][color=magenta][u][b][img]http://www.gifs.net/animate/hipgrl12.gif[/img][/b][/u][/color][/size] [img]http://www.gifs.net/animate/hipmn1.gif[/img][/font][/center][center][img]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jim_ashton/shyAV5.jpg[/img][/center][center][b][color=#ff00ff][size=7][u]E[/u][/size][u][size=5]ms [/size][size=5]&[/size][size=7] J[/size][size=5]im[/size][/u][/color][/b][/center]

Comment

Cheers

Just wanted to say thanks for all the help. Still working through the suggestions you've made, but so far the fuse seems ok and the bar is connected up. Not really sure what a correct assembly looks like so was wondering if anyone has any pictures of a correct installation?

As a total aside, anyone bought uprated springs for the rear? I've heard they work well but just thought I'd ask the experts!

J.

Comment

here you go
                    Attached Files
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                    (")_(")

Comment

thanks Marky

Comment

IMHO that diagram is as much use as ... it mentions no blue or black plastic insulators and this is the key to correct fitting.

Here is the correct order of fitting from the nut at the top down to the air manifold:

10mm nut

steel washer

black plastic insulator

wiring harness

busbar

blue insulator

air manifold

Also check each plug has the bar screwed down with the insulated nut.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL
                          IMHO that diagram is as much use as ... it mentions no blue or black plastic insulators and this is the key to correct fitting.

Here is the correct order of fitting from the nut at the top down to the air manifold:

10mm nut

steel washer

black plastic insulator

wiring harness

busbar

blue insulator

air manifold

Your right Jim - thats because its the diagram for the 3 Litre 1KZTE.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by JimL

10mm nut

steel washer

black plastic insulator

wiring harness

busbar

blue insulator

air manifold

Jim

It is still possible for someone to get the assembley wrong if the insulators are not installed the right way.This should make sure they do.

10mm nut

steel washer

black plastic insulator (recessed centre down)

wiring harness

busbar

blue insulator (raised centre up)

air manifold

Neville

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
                              Jim

It is still possible for someone to get the assembley wrong if the insulators are not installed the right way.This should make sure they do.

10mm nut

steel washer

black plastic insulator (recessed centre down)

wiring harness

busbar

blue insulator (raised centre up)

air manifold

Neville

I can see where all the other bits go but what does the Neville attach to?

Comment

Working...
                              X