hooray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hooray

Got there in the end! New head went on with new injectors, gaskets, belt etc.

Pumped the primer a couple of hundred times and first crank the beast burbles to life! She is running sooo much better.

I binned the EGR, i know a lot of people do the easy 'block the pipe' method but we cut off the brackets that attach to the two manifolds and welded sump plugs into the end of each one and fabricated a bracket to hold all the gubbins so no need to put a useless hunk of cast and valve back on! The main benefit is easy of access and better seal than making up a blanking plate.

One Word of advice though dont do what i did and replace everything including all the ducting and pipes and then realise (after starting up) that the half moon cap that goes behind the camshaft at the back of the head and seals with the rocker cover is not on thus spurting oil out the back of the rocker cover! Oops! my mechanic friend and i just had to laugh otherwise we probably wouldve broken down in tears!

Well this website has been absolutely awesome everyones quick responses to my bumbling questions hane helped me get my pride and joy back on the road (or off, which ever way you look at it). I will now attempot to help other newbie surfers with my newly acquired blaze of glory knowledge!

Heres a big imaginary beer to all on the forum CHEERS!

NIPPER and the DAWGS

Good job, nice work. Don't worry about seal. I know others who have done the same.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

so are there no MOT issues with an obviously disco'd EGR?

Comment

no, just the 'rev the engine to within an inch of it's life' to check for excessive smoke test.
        [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

Well according to an MOT tester 'friend' his son-in-laws import toyo people carrier thingy gave better readings without the EGR, so as far as he was concerned its all good! as he pointed out most Test centers are too preoccupied with sticking to time than investigating missing pipes, that they probably did not know were there anyway!

If you need a nice understanding MOT center in Surrey drop me PM.

Nipper

Comment

Originally posted by Nipper
            Well according to an MOT tester 'friend' his son-in-laws import toyo people carrier thingy gave better readings without the EGR, so as far as he was concerned its all good! as he pointed out most Test centers are too preoccupied with sticking to time than investigating missing pipes, that they probably did not know were there anyway!

If you need a nice understanding MOT center in Surrey drop me PM.

Nipper
            Got my EGR blocked off and had mine MOT'd last year and the emissions came out at 0.18, guy at the garage asked what I was running on, water??
            Told him what I had done and he said good stuff, show me so I showed him what to do. He said he will remember that for future reference.
            Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
            My choice
            Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Nipper
              Got there in the end! New head went on with new injectors, gaskets, belt etc.

Pumped the primer a couple of hundred times and first crank the beast burbles to life! She is running sooo much better.

I binned the EGR, i know a lot of people do the easy 'block the pipe' method but we cut off the brackets that attach to the two manifolds and welded sump plugs into the end of each one and fabricated a bracket to hold all the gubbins so no need to put a useless hunk of cast and valve back on! The main benefit is easy of access and better seal than making up a blanking plate.

One Word of advice though dont do what i did and replace everything including all the ducting and pipes and then realise (after starting up) that the half moon cap that goes behind the camshaft at the back of the head and seals with the rocker cover is not on thus spurting oil out the back of the rocker cover! Oops! my mechanic friend and i just had to laugh otherwise we probably wouldve broken down in tears!

Well this website has been absolutely awesome everyones quick responses to my bumbling questions hane helped me get my pride and joy back on the road (or off, which ever way you look at it). I will now attempot to help other newbie surfers with my newly acquired blaze of glory knowledge!

Heres a big imaginary beer to all on the forum CHEERS!

NIPPER and the DAWGS
              Did that thing with the plug on mine, dumped oil all ov.er my mother in laws drive - she weren't happy.

Cheers

Comment

don't for get the added benifit of significant weight reduction

exellent ... good to hear of your mod...
                as I'd like to do the same ... also for the same reasons..

the man with the pointy hat who put these things on needs one dropping on his head... or several.

quik question:
                do you have any redundant sensors still dangling from the loom... or did they go in the bin too.. and if so.. is whatever interprited the signals still happy.
                Rob

Comment

Working...
                X