Smoking When Starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoking When Starting

Hi Guys, I've got a 92 Surf 2.4 LN130 and when I start it after its been standing over night I get bellows of blue smoke for about 5-10 seconds then after that its ok. Now I've changed the head gasket and the valve stem oil seals but it looks like its getting worse. So if anyone's got any ideas as to the problem I would be very greatful, as off camping to North Devon in Aug, thats a 4 hour trip each way.
    thanks in advance Davehob.

get a compression check done.,could be a dribbling injector.does it run ok apart from starting first thing.does it use oil???does the smoke smell like it has burnt oil in it???? is the engine breathing more heavily than normal??
    www.overfab.uk

Comment

I get the same in my 94/L 3.0 - lots of smoke on start up, and sometimes seems to only be firing on 3 cyls too - then after a few seconds, it calms down. I;m hardly using any oil and it seems to be happy enough on a 114 mile round trip each day on the M6/M6 Toll and M54...
      Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Originally posted by MudSurfer View Post
        I get the same in my 94/L 3.0 - lots of smoke on start up, and sometimes seems to only be firing on 3 cyls too - then after a few seconds, it calms down. I;m hardly using any oil and it seems to be happy enough on a 114 mile round trip each day on the M6/M6 Toll and M54...
        change your glow plugs dude.
        www.overfab.uk

Comment

I got all the injectors reconditioned when I did the gasget and the stem seals/
          No its not using oil and like MudSurfer after start up its running sweety as a nut. Just a bit worried about the amount of smoke it kicks out. And it has new glow plugs. All the stuff i put on it i got from rough tracks are they ok.

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein View Post
            change your glow plugs dude.
            I have....

I should get some decent ones when I overhaul the whole thing later in the year...

Comment

does it only smoke when on cold start up,whats it like on hot start up
              www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by davehob View Post
                I got all the injectors reconditioned when I did the gasget and the stem seals/
                No its not using oil and like MudSurfer after start up its running sweety as a nut. Just a bit worried about the amount of smoke it kicks out. And it has new glow plugs. All the stuff i put on it i got from rough tracks are they ok.
                Have you ever overfilled it with oil? What does the gasket area look like on the turbo and is there a lot of oil in the intake pipe that goes across the top of the engine into the turbo?

Mine has a lot of oil around the turbo gasket, which is where I think some of my issues are coming from, but, given my mechanical incapacity and general ignorance, I'm probably wrong...

Comment

does it only smoke when on cold start up,whats it like on hot start up
                  Well, on mine sweet as, starts immediately, no grumbling, less smoke but still some...

Comment

I have....

I should get some decent ones when I overhaul the whole thing later in the year...
                    meiser.my 2.8 use to start really lumpy from cold.sounded like it was missing and a bit smoky.changed the glow plugs and problem solved.you sure they are working?
                    www.overfab.uk

Comment

Yes I've got oil in the intake pipe but none near the turbo. As for warm start no problems there, once its up and running its good as gold.

Comment

you sure they are working?
                        No

Comment

Replaced mine in May aswell as the main 80 amp fuse ( I think it was 80)

Comment

No
                            well im sticking with glow plugs both of you go check them,with a multi meter.or you can borrow my special tool.that check the resistance on each plug to see if they are working properly.
                            www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by davehob View Post
                              Replaced mine in May aswell as the main 80 amp fuse ( I think it was 80)
                              did you get the insulators fitted back on the correct way????
                              www.overfab.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X