Anti Roll links

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti Roll links

Hello, i bought rear anti roll links from milners, when i went to fit them they where a bit smaller in length than the ones on my surf.

I contacted milners who double checked the part number and assured me they are the correct ones.

Does anyone have a correct length or does it matter?

The ones i got from milners look more like the front links in size.

I bought mine from milners and went through the same process as you! I measured the length of the original link as exactly 20mm more than the ones supplied by milners. Milners assured me that there would be no adverse effect when fitted. They are definately not front ARB links either.

I have had them fitted for a while without any problems. I was (am) not happy about them being shorter but don't have enough knowledge to be able to argue with them! I guess that the roll bar will have slightly more preload on it than normal and should limit the body roll more than the standard length links would. Assuming that i could get the surf to corner fast then that would be a good thing! However i am guessing that when used off road it will limit the articulation available more than standard, bad thing. I also guess that when i raise the rear i will simply junk the whole thing! ARB, that is!

Hopefully someone will be along shortly that can agree, dispute, or enlighten the above comments

Comment

As long as both sides are the same length, it wont make a huge amount of difference. ANY ARB will limit your articulation off road, but at the expense of body roll on the road. Removing the rear ARB has less effect on body roll than removing the front.
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Pine12 View Post
        I guess that the roll bar will have slightly more preload on it than normal and should limit the body roll more than the standard length links would.
        You guess wrong. There is no 'pre-load' on an anti roll bar and the length of these links won't have any noticable effect on body roll on a standard truck.
        Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
          You guess wrong.
          well it was only a guess!

Comment

well, i fitted them and noticed no diffrence in the handling.

Although the bracket that holds the top had a little wear in the hole the link goes through. thinking next time a washer or remove the ARB completly.

Comment

Have similiar problems with my front links i got from roughtrax for my Gen 3. They are approx 15mm to 20mm longer than the stock ones.
              The top nut is 14mm instead of 17mm as the link is also a fraction thinner.

Roughtrax say they are correct although the label on the box state they are suitable for toyota 8/1987 to 3/1996.
              If i fit them is there any advantage or disadvantages bearing in mind i ftted 2" suspension lift a few wks ago?
              thanks
              Anto

Comment

Originally posted by Antob View Post
                Have similiar problems with my front links i got from roughtrax for my Gen 3. They are approx 15mm to 20mm longer than the stock ones.
                The top nut is 14mm instead of 17mm as the link is also a fraction thinner.

Roughtrax say they are correct although the label on the box state they are suitable for toyota 8/1987 to 3/1996.
                If i fit them is there any advantage or disadvantages bearing in mind i ftted 2" suspension lift a few wks ago?
                thanks
                Anto
                They'll be fine.

Comment

How can something be correct if it is a different length to original?

Nev

Comment

Thanks Albannach.

I'm guessing the fact I have fitted 2" rancho shocks and springs the extra length would bring the ARB back close to original angle.

Comment

When I went to fit the links the top nut got run out of thread , couldn't tighten it anymore and basically can spin around the top washer and the top bushing is still loose.
                      Has anybody else had this trouble with Roughtrax drop links for the gen 3, the box says they are suitable for Toyota up until 3/1996 which leaves me puzzled.
                      Also can anybody tell me the size of the top nut on the original links as I checked 2 trucks and both are 17mm which Roughtrax say isn't original although I think it is.
                      Any advice appreciated, should I return the links or go ahead and fit them using extra washers on top enough to allow me to squash the bushing down.
                      Thanks

Comment

That's strange. The bushing/washer set up shouldn't be an issue at all, even if the links were from a different vehicle, they should still tighten up. Mind, the links don't go solid, they're more 'nipped up'.

Have you got the washers, bushes and sacrificial washers (if fitted) in the right order?

The size of the nut is irrelevant, as long as the thread is the same it'll be fine.

Pictures would help now, I think.

Comment

Im using the blue super pro polybushes, they were fitted to my old links for about a month, they look slightly smaller in height than the ordinary black ones supplied with the new links.

That probably explains a lot but even when I connect back up my old link I can get them to tighten using the polybushes.

Comment

Originally posted by Antob View Post
                            Im using the blue super pro polybushes, they were fitted to my old links for about a month, they look slightly smaller in height than the ordinary black ones supplied with the new links.
                            There's your problem then. If you use the bushes supplied with the links, do they tighten up properly?

Comment

Didn't try that but makes sense that they should work but I prefer to use the polybushes if I can.
                              If I use a few washers on top will that do the job?
                              Thanks Albannach

Comment

Working...
                              X