No announcement yet.

2.8 auto transmission fluid? and slow!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.8 auto transmission fluid? and slow!

hi guys, my friend has a g reg 2.8 auto hilux and it is soooo slow its unreal, it doesnt seem to pick up, it doesnt go above 55mph.
    i was wondering if maybe the auto box oil needs changing?
    what oil and how much does it require and is there any special process?

as said before, i know very little about hilux's, do they run air flow meters? could this be the go slow problem?
    any help would be much appreciated as i have to follow him 250 miles next month and i am not driving that distance at 55mph lol. thanks again

Gday mate,

The 2.8 is no rocket but they are very reliable.

They dont suffer many problems mainly because they are mechanical (Non electronic) and were designed for the South African and Australian markets not the streets of Tokyo as per the Surf /Jap import 2.4 & 3.0l

55mph or 90kmh is very slow for a 2.8. It should be able to at least top about 120 kmh.

2.8s arent fitted with any air flow meters, no electronics

Auto's do sap a bit of power and that maybe the reason why its slow.

Possibly the vanes on the auto are cactus or the transmission fluid has bit the bullet due to over heating.

An aftermarket transmission cooler is essential.

If the oil in the box has done a huge number of kms and no auto transmission cooler was fitted then the oil is probably knackered

In Australia and South Africa the hilux 2.8 never came out with an auto option.

Has he retrofitted the auto?

The general thing why 2.8's are slow is the following reasons

Dirty airfilter

Incorrect valve clearances

Injector pump and injectors need overhauling

Clogged/Dirty exhaust system. (makes a huge difference)

Too fat and too tall tyres. (Looks good work's bad, 2.8's run better with tyres as close to stock as possible unlike 3.0ltd Surfs)

Not much else goes wrong with them. 500+ thousand kms is not uncommon for these engines provided they are serviced regulary

Cheers Matt
    Harden the Fuk Up Princess

Comment

Originally posted by wattsy View Post
      it doesnt seem to pick up
      Hi Wattsy
      Just bought Surf 2.4 last Saturday.
      Mine is faster than that but still takes along time to pick up. Everyone says its nothing to worry about but I would say you may have a problem at 55mph.
      Could just need gearbox flush and oil. Going to get mine done.
      See technical general "newby with gearbox problem"
      Mark
      In space no one can hear you scream

Comment

Working...
      X