No announcement yet.

K&n Style Air Filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no offence intended regarding the finnished a little better what i meant was if i am to get permission from the missus to start hacking holes in my truck it gunna have to look stock thats all

do you know what benefits he got was it noisier etc

Comment

Originally posted by BAV1 View Post
      no offence intended regarding the finnished a little better what i meant was if i am to get permission from the missus to start hacking holes in my truck it gunna have to look stock thats all

do you know what benefits he got was it noisier etc
      There's no worry regarding upsetting anyone. Anything like that will make the intake slightly noisier as the standard intake has a baffle type setup to reduce noise. As to whether it made any difference on fuel consumption and such, negligible if any, I would guess, for the reasons Apache mentioned earlier.

Comment

Was higher than the stock air inlet so less chance of drowning. He didn't mention any extra power / mpg though. Went through the standard airbox so noise didn't increase noticeably.

Better to go that route for cold air IMO. I'd eat my hat if you got a definite, consistent, worthwhile increase in MPG from a change of air filter.
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

I think Boyo was simply doing that as a snorkle to allow his Surf to wade in water up to that level (i.e. keeping the same air filter but moving the intake from behind the headlight to where that (speaker?) grill is.

from what Apache says I guess you could put a small snorkle type gubbin with a K+N on it? That would keep you air filter out of the engine bay and therefore cooler. (Search for tobyjugs mushroom snorkle for reference ) This would involve hacking your wing though.

However, as Apache says there are plently of other ways to improve performance/MPG that are as effective and cheaper.

Comment

must.
            learn.
            to.
            type.
            faster.

Comment

thanks biosurf any chance you couls elaberate on that i am concerned with temp levels under the hood as well i have a manaul overide on rad fan to be safe but it does always smell hot under there

was assuming i would benefit from cooler air

Comment

Originally posted by biosurf View Post
                must.
                learn.
                to.
                type.
                faster.

Amateur.

Originally posted by BAV1 View Post
                thanks biosurf any chance you couls elaberate on that i am concerned with temp levels under the hood as well i have a manaul overide on rad fan to be safe but it does always smell hot under there

was assuming i would benefit from cooler air
                Cooler air won't do bugger all for running temps. Cooler air is denser air, hence improves combustion slightly, that's all.

Comment

i know any ideas how to monitor these temps (cheaply) or am i just worrying about nothing when i first got the truck got warned about the head probs and as i really like the truck (this is the second first trucks big end went) dont want to take any risks

done quite a few mods myself but know my limits

was thinking of improving performance as much as poss

raising intake (cheap as poss) along with anything else needed for wading nothing major probably not above teh wheels but again dont want to risk wrecking it

cheers for all your input

Comment

you're worrying too much

Its always good to get the underbonnet temps down a bit though, so why not raise the hinges of the bonnet a bit to let hot air out? Easier / cheaper than fitting vents / scoops etc.
                    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Definitely worrying too much. (My turn to echo). Any engine will fail at some point in time. Just take all sensible precautions, service regularly and you'll be fine.

Comment

thanks for the reasurance guys will look a the more fun mods rather than the practical ones

ie

bash plate (still need to find one)
                        extending breathers and anything else for wading (still got to research this)
                        side entry air intake (does this need some sort or water drain)
                        front to back roof bars
                        adding dash switch to control rear 12v outlet
                        repairing rips in ricaro front seat
                        oh and thinking of adding some hid spots
                        and inclometer
                        side exit exhaust

thanks
                        Last edited by BAV1; 25 June 2009, 07:58.

Comment

Working...
                        X