Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearbox, steering and turbo mystery

Hi there,
    I've recently had an annoying rattle everytime i depress the clutch pedal coming from the gear box. I assumed it was the thruster bearing so yesterday took it in to have a new clutch kit put on. When I went back to get it, they had fitted the new clutch for me but told me that the clutch it had in it was like new anyway, and there was no play in the thruster bearing what so ever! Slightly frustrating as I forked out the money, and the rattle is still there. Bizarrely, they also told me they had found a bunch of stones in the bell housing, but I still cant figure out what the rattle could possibly be! Any ideas on that one?
    Also, they mentioned I have a slight power steering leak, which I already knew of but it hasnt caused me any problems of yet, however, after getting my truck back from them, the steering has behaved very strangely, sometimes clunking, and juddering, and becoming momentarily very stiff, causing me to come quite close to the hedge on the drive home!!
    Ive checked the belt tension, and it isnt slipping at all......Any ideas?I cant imagine it has anything remotely to do with them taking the gearbox out to do my clutch, but the problem has started since I had it back from the garage!
    And seperately, I dont think my turbo works correctly, my green light only ever comes on when I turn the ignition on, and my truck lacks serious power and pull compared to my mates. I took the pipe off and revved it in neutral, and the turbo is kicking out with some force, so why is it so gutless and my light never works!?!?Checked the vaccum pipes and theyre all attached....

Any help would be very much appreciated here, sorry for such a long post, but i'm coming to my wits end, I love my truck to pieces, its great fun, but very frustrating!!!
    Cheers Guys
    Ed

Regarding the clutch, did they check the flywheel? If it's a dual mass and original then it's probably falling apart.

Steering problem will probably be belt tension. Check it again. If ok check fluid level.

As for the turbo problem, it's probably the hose under throttle that has come off from the manifold, or the turbo sensor on the rear of filter housing.

Nev

Comment

thanks Nev, I will check the pipe asap.
      The flywheel is solid, the mechanic told me that, so does that shed any more light on the problem?

Comment

Working...
      X