No announcement yet.

Naughty brakin'....vacuum pump rotors ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naughty brakin'....vacuum pump rotors ?

Hi clever peeps....
    have been searching this afternoon for info on braking probs... we ain't stoppin too clever !! Found a thread from Elvz and we have the same symptoms of not stoppin too quickly when braking hard and the pedal is on the floor. Also feels very spongy during nomral braking. There are posts about 'impellors' and 'rotor's for the pump... Is this something I can get to to check myself ?? if so, just where/what would I be looking for. Man at garage said poss not enough vacuum being created.

Any info gratefully received...

Cheers
    Had enough... going to live in Spain....

Originally posted by Helen
    Hi clever peeps....
    have been searching this afternoon for info on braking probs... we ain't stoppin too clever !! Found a thread from Elvz and we have the same symptoms of not stoppin too quickly when braking hard and the pedal is on the floor. Also feels very spongy during nomral braking. There are posts about 'impellors' and 'rotor's for the pump... Is this something I can get to to check myself ?? if so, just where/what would I be looking for. Man at garage said poss not enough vacuum being created.

Any info gratefully received...

Cheers
    If it's spongy then either air in the fluid - blead the brakes or the servo - did they connect it up right after the head problems.

If it is bleading then you need to check why - could be air getting in from faulty wheel cylinder seals or master cylinder seals. Also the fluid could just be old and full of water - brake fluid is hydroscopic, i.e. it absorbs water over time.

Generally if there was not enough vacuum then the brakes would feel really hard.

Cheers

Comment

I would agree that it does not sound like a vacuum problem.Bleed the brake system first.Flush them completely if fluid is old.
      To check for vacuum - With engine off pump brake pedal several times to deplete any vacuum that may be there.With foot on brake start engine and brake pedal should drop slightly as vacuum takes effect.If not remove hose on small tank near brake booster and with engine running place thumb over end of hose and you should feel the vacuum.If you get vacuum at hose but not brake pedal then problem is with booster.Vacuum pump is on front of alternator and the large hose from this is the brake vacuum line.

Neville

Comment

It doesn't sound like a vacuum problem to me either. You can tell if you have vacuum by sitting in the car with the engine off and pressing the brake pedal a few times. It should go from hard to very little resistance in about 3 pushes. Also if you have no vacuum you won't be able to engage 4WD.

My braking problem was with the wretched little compensator valve on the rear axle. I solved it in the short-term by taking it off and throwing it away. If and when my Surf goes back on the road it will have rear discs which seem like a permanent solution.

Comment

Thanks all,

It has been booked into garage where head was done but wondered if it was something we could have a go at.We have told garage man symptoms but this info will help too. It only came to our attention when Tom had to brake sharp the other day, I hadn't really notice in normal braking. Seemed OK when we tested before buying so does seem to have happened since head was done or a flukey coincidence.

Thanks again
          Had enough... going to live in Spain....

Comment

"To check for vacuum - With engine off pump brake pedal several times to deplete any vacuum that may be there."

Shurley shome mishtake

League of pedantry post watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Toyotass
              "To check for vacuum - With engine off pump brake pedal several times to deplete any vacuum that may be there."

Shurley shome mishtake

League of pedantry post watch.
              Ok Tell me where the mishtake is.Makes sense if you read the whole thing.

Neville

Comment

OK! I did hope you would see the joke. But as you insist! a vacuum is an absense of air, to 'deplete' it would be a double negative, what you are actually doing is admitting air to the vacuum reservoir.

Gedit?

Comment

OK! I did hope you would see the joke. But as you insist! a vacuum is an absense of air, to 'deplete' it would be a double negative, what you are actually doing is admitting air to the vacuum reservoir.

Gedit?
                  How can it be a double negative?Allowing air to enter a system under vacuum is depleting the vacuum.

Neville

Comment

Jees! I thought I was being padantic, it was a joke, you could say it is a semantic argument but the reality is that a vacuum is an absense of air you cannot deplete what is not there. Best we dont get on to Shrodingers cat I suspect.
                    Any how I have sold my Surf so Asta la Vista baby.

Comment

Jees! I thought I was being padantic, it was a joke, you could say it is a semantic argument but the reality is that a vacuum is an absense of air you cannot deplete what is not there. Best we dont get on to Shrodingers cat I suspect.
                      Any how I have sold my Surf so Asta la Vista baby.
                      But there is something there - A vacuum

Neville

Comment

Working...
                      X