Overheating Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overheating Problem

Hi, I bought my Surf on 1st May. It heated up going up a very steep long hill on our way back to Kent to catch the ferry. We had done about 140miles.
    There was loads of water comming out of the expansion tank. We waited until it cooled and refilled with about two litres of water and off we went. We stopped fairly frequently and the problem did not reuccur until we got in trafic in Brussels, when the heat shot straight up, but as soon as we moved it dropped down again.

I have taken off the expansion tank and it is full of crap ( over half full ) I checked the radiator cap and it seemed a little loose so I have replaced it. The switch valve for the heating radiator was jammed, I have managed to get this moving and opened it right up, there seems to be no fluid at all in the pipes or rad.

I have checked with the garage I bought It from and they have informed me that it had the head changed 6 months ago and new pistons and had been fine. They had filled the coolant system with Normal blue coolant 30-70.

I have a long drive comming up next week, and will clean out the coolant system and try and give it a minor service. Is there anything else I can do to be on the safe side.
    Cheers Brussels John.

just to save typing it all again

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=55003
    ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Originally posted by Brussels john View Post
      Hi, I bought my Surf on 1st May. It heated up going up a very steep long hill on our way back to Kent to catch the ferry. We had done about 140miles.
      There was loads of water comming out of the expansion tank. We waited until it cooled and refilled with about two litres of water and off we went. We stopped fairly frequently and the problem did not reuccur until we got in trafic in Brussels, when the heat shot straight up, but as soon as we moved it dropped down again.

Did you re-fill with coolant via the radiator cap?
      Were the heater controls set to hot?
      (after you got the valve on the bulkhead open)
      The expansion tank only needs to half full when cold.

I have taken off the expansion tank and it is full of crap ( over half full ) I checked the radiator cap and it seemed a little loose so I have replaced it. The switch valve for the heating radiator was jammed, I have managed to get this moving and opened it right up, there seems to be no fluid at all in the pipes or rad.

Check the footwell/carpet for wetness on the passenger side in case the valve was closed due to heater core leaks.

I have checked with the garage I bought It from and they have informed me that it had the head changed 6 months ago and new pistons and had been fine. They had filled the coolant system with Normal blue coolant 30-70.

You should have proof of the head replacement when you purchased the truck.
      New pistons???!!! I smell B/S.

I have a long drive comming up next week, and will clean out the coolant system and try and give it a minor service. Is there anything else I can do to be on the safe side.
      Cheers Brussels John.

I would take it back if I were you and buy a known truck off a forum member.

Comment

Overheating Not now.

Hi, thanks for all the advice.

Stripped down most of the cooling system at the weekend and cleaned it right out. Lots of brown nasty water. Washed it through 3 times replaced the Thermostat which was rotten. ( Checked old thermostat and it would not move even at 100c ) replaced the radiator cap and ran her for 40 minutes with a nice new 50 50 mix. Checked after she had cooled down and there was a little loss of coolant, but it was in the expansion chamber.

I will do an oil change this week and will take her for a nice hundred mile run on thursday. Hopefully all will be well.

Comment

Working...
        X