Duel mass flywheel Vs. Solid one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duel mass flywheel Vs. Solid one

I'm sure that this has been talked about before on here, but wasn't able to find what i was looking for.
    Just wondering what the pros and cons are for converting to the solid mass flywheel. I had a mechanic in Vancouver tell me that he wouldn't recommend doing this, but couldn't give me a good reason why not. I know that the solid one is cheaper, but could it also potentially damage my transmission?
    Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Theres a few posts on this around, all I can tell you is that just about everyone with a dual mass has converted to solid, when the dual mass has broken up and no adverse effects from this have ever been posted. I would say your mechanic pal is talking rubbish.

Bogus
    Сви можемо

Comment

What he said. In fairness to your mechanic, he can't know what the effect will be unless he's done one on a surf before. It'll be fine - the UK 4 runners had a solid one as standard.

Comment

It'll be fine. The solid does transfer more vibration to the transmission and can be a little noiser at times but mine has been in for years and no transmission damage. Just get them to check the input shaft bearing in the box while it's out and replace the seals in that area.

Nev

Comment

Any idea of a 4runner solid flywheel would work on the Surf? This would save loads of $$$$$. Or at least if the seals on the gearbox are the same as the 4runner. The less parts I have to import in to North America the better.
          Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X