Brakes vacuum pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes vacuum pump

Travelling back home last night, the "top" locking bolt for the alternator tensioner decided to shear resulting in flapping alternator belts, no water pump and lights and alarms flashing and sounding everywhere.
    I managed to trace the problem to the long pivoting bolt at the base of the alternator which had worked loose, this in turn had obviously put to much stress on the small top 8mm bolt which decided to give up.
    Anyway there is no obvious damage just a few scuffed/ripped belts and some rub marks on the cam belt cover from the 2 alternator belts, I managed to limp home stoping every mile or so just to give the engine a chance to cool down.
    What I would like to know is do the alternator belts drive the brakes vacuum pump in any way? can someone please explain how the vacuum is created, I've managed to remove the alternator (in order to remove the sheared bolt) in the process I had to remove all the oil lines that run to the vacuum pump, on re-assembly will I have to bleed the vacuum system in any way or is the system self bleeding, any help would be much appreciated, (92 2.4 5 speed manual).
    I've owned this truck for 5 years, I imported it directly from Japan with 50000KMs on the clock. On importation I changed all fluids, flushed rad etc,etc it has now covered 130000KMs and this is the only major problem that I have encountered so far, apart from wiper blades, new tyres, oil changed every 3ooo miles it has been ultra reliable (maybe I have been lucky or my strict service schedules have paid off)

Double post.

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=54992

Nev

Comment

Working...
    X