upper ball joint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upper ball joint

as i dont to much about the surf and learning the 'hands on way' i thought the problem i had was that the camber was out on the surf but after a simple test i found it is the upper ball joint. Haynes uses horrible words like puller which equates to tw@ting it with a hammer because you dont have one and annoyed in the process!

has anyone renewed their upper ball joint (drivers side) and can you give an account of how you did it

thanks a lot!
    http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=55797

ball joint

just had mine done for mot cost me £27 from local motor factor , the mechanic who fixes the hard stuff for me,, said summit about torsion bars, so kinda glad i didnt try it myself,i had it order it in ,then i dropped it off but the motor factor had given me hilux pickup instead of surf one which is different, get it from milners for £16 plus postage if you can wait

Comment

Re

The replacing is pretty easy but it depends on how rusty/corroded your parts are.

I had to use a lump hammer and 2 kinds of joint breakers (Y Shaped gizmo and the screw type!) to get the old ball joints off.

I was literally taking a full swing at it with the hammer, when it finally gave it was like a gun shot!

I REALLY suggest that you SOAK the joint with WD40 or a similar lube overnight!

It's really just a matter of removing the castle nut and split pin and then the 4 other nuts.

My memory is a bit vague but I think you need to break the joints before removing the 4 nuts, it makes it easier.

BE CAREFUL OF YOUR BRAKE LINES!

Bit awkward for 1 to do so get a mate.

Do a search on here as I'm sure some of the guys have done a write up!

Clicky Here Search Thingie

Also check here:-

Techsite
      Last edited by hellmett; 30 April 2009, 11:43.

Comment

use a bottle jack between the wish bones to push them apart top tip,you will see
        Not going to rest till its broke

Comment

Originally posted by 123-gtt View Post
          use a bottle jack between the wish bones to push them apart top tip,you will see
          good tip but dont over do it otherwise you will bend the wish b,s
          JAP4X4PART ¬ THE BIGGEST SURF BREAKER IN THE UK ¬

Comment

Working...
          X