Help! Non-Start after new head fitted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Non-Start after new head fitted

Having nightmare with my 'new' '91 Hilux Surf 2.4TD (2L-TE). Found cylinder head to be cracked! Bought new head & had it fitted by mechanic friend but since unable to start. Engine just turns over until battery goes flat! Occassionally 'coughs' as if it is about to fire.

Have checked timing & had pump (electric type) sent away for overhaul but still no joy. It appears that no fuel is getting through - could this be due to siganl to fuel cut-off solenoid? - if so how do I check this?

Really frustrating as everything seems okay & vehicle ran fine before head removed (apart from overheating!).

Any ideas gratefully received before taking out the petrol & matches!!

Have you had the batteries disconnected while work was bing done? If not it might be a good idea to dis' the batteries for 20 mins to reset the ECU. As you can probably guess I am not a mechanic. Maybe one of the more learned will be able to help.

Good Luck

Phil
    It's only a hobby!

Comment

Could be a dozen reasons for not starting.
      Were timing marks on pump and housing realigned when replaced?Fuel cut solenoid is on rear of pump above fuel lines.This should click when ignition is turned on.Have someone turn key while you check.If not check for power at the wiring connector.There are three points and with the plug facing you check for power at single one with the other two at the top.If no power then connect a lead to positive battery terminal and this point on the solenoid side and solenoid should work.If vehicle is started with jumper lead then this will have to be disconnected to stop engine. Bleed injectors by loosening the nut on fuel line and cranking till fuel comes out.Do this to each injector one at a time.

Neville

Comment

Don't know how relevent this might be but.... Some years ago after replacing the head on a mates Orion, we could not get it to start, tried everything, checked everything. Eventually sent for another mate to bring his mains powered jump start unit (enormous thing on wheels), still no joy, so mate with charger insisted we try to tow-start it. I couldn't see the logic myself but eventually gave in and tried it. Car started within a 100 yards or so! And was perfect afterwards.
        I don't know why this worked, but it might be worth considering if you have something available which can safely tow the Surf.
        Maurice
        Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

tow start

..........interesting note on tow starting, but not a good idea if the Surf has an automatic gearbox. Auto gear boxes don't take kindly to being reverse driven!!

Rob

Comment

hi m8

dotn know much about engines but i think there is a big fuse on the top of the engine for the glow plugs which is easy damaged it may be that!! worth checking to make sure glow plugs are working

Comment

Check to see if you got fuel coming into the filter then out of it, sounds like a fuel problem. Try bleeding the air out at the injectors, think the pump relay is one of the relays on the passenger side of the engine bay.
              Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
              My choice
              Back off

Comment

Originally posted by robnw67
                ..........interesting note on tow starting, but not a good idea if the Surf has an automatic gearbox. Auto gear boxes don't take kindly to being reverse driven!!

Rob
                D'oh, completly forgot to mention that of course you can't tow start an auto, as most of our Surf's are (mine included)
                Maurice
                Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Bit more help needed!

Thanks guys for all your replies - my mate has now had a chance to check out everything suggested but still no joy. What he has asked me to try & find out is what controls the fuel pump? - apparently my vehicle has the fully electronic diesel pump & we think there is some sort of fuel controller mated to it. Anyone know what signals this should be receiving & where they would come from. Anybody out there got any wiring diagrams!?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Gonna get this Toyota running if it kills me!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X