Electric window fault. (not back one)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric window fault. (not back one)

Here's a good one for all you pro surfers.

Have had an intermittant fault with the electric door windows. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Sometimes they will go down but not up then you open the driver door and it goes up again. Now it's all gone tits up!

My step daughter undid the front passenger window by about an inch and it wouldn't go up. There is power coz it will still go down. but the motor will not put it up (it's not even trying) and that is only if I use the switch on that door. Aswell as that, the driver control panel seems to have completely stopped working. So i guess the fault is no longer intermittant. any ideas would help. I'm thinking maybe the driver control panel is knackered?

Help me please.

it could be the control panel, but normally this is a busted wire in the loom, if open and closing the door makes it work, a wire has broken were it moves across the door opening.

I normally just get a used door loom off a breaker truck, as it far quicker than trying to find the broken wire.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks mate. Finally got round to havin a look. Got a quote for new one. £170 from toyota! So wont be getting a new one.

Took the loom out, six broken wires right where they bend. Repaired them, all sorted. Can open all windows just in time for summer.

Ta for the tip.

Comment

Morning,

Does the loom come out easily?

My drivers door window worked for about a week, and hasn't done since....

Must get round to fixing it, poor old girl is 20 years old this year.....
        Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Yeah it was quite easy. You will need to remove the plastic panel under the steering column and the speaker (the box around it unscrews easily).

Once you've done that and taken the door panel off, all you need to do is release all the cable holders disconnect the countless connectors. Then follow the wire through the door into the main car and find the connectors in there and disconnect them.. You'll see why you need to remove the speaker etc... at this point. You should find it easy from there. Toyota give you a big enough hole in the door etc... to pass one connnector at a time through. So no need to cut any wires. Clever buggers!

When I had my loom out I moved the rubber grommit thing out the way and found six broken wires. I cut them short and bridged the gap with new wire. I wouldn't just reconnect them. Having the connection where the wires bend as you open and shut the door probably won't last long.

All in all, it took a bit of time but was not in anyway difficult and the end result was very satisfying.

I hope this helps you and sorry if I went in to too much detail. I wanted to make sure others could use this post too.

Comment

Working...
          X