Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.4 Nightmare

Hi All.
    After fitting a recon engine to my Surf everything was great for a few months. Then one night the truck suddenly lost power and there was alot of black smoke and a rattling noise. The truck will still start and doesn't overheat at all. Just no power, rattling and black/grey smoke. I have been told that if the turbo goes there is a loss of power and smoke but no rattling? Has anbody out there got any ideas what I should be checking and is there an easy way of testing the turbo? Thanks all, please help!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like the timing belt could have jumped a tooth or two and the fuel pump timing is out.

Nothing much to go wrong with a turbo, it's just a gas driven impellor. You'l know if it's knackered 'cos it'll sound like a handful of nails in a tin can.

Comment

Thanks Bushwhacker. So despite what I was told if the turbo goes there would be noise? Is the smoke and lack of power the kind of things that also happen when the turbo goes?

Comment

EDIT.......vince, you beat me to a answer again ........

take the air intake pipe off the turbo and see if the bearings have gone on the impeller.........you will get lots of excessive movement.

Is the rattling noise coming from the turbo or the engine ........it might have dropped a valve .........

this sound familiar.......
        ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Yes, the turbo will be noisy if the bearings are worn, and grey/blue smoke on deceleration it the seals have gone.
          Black smoke on acceleration is either dirty/clogged air filter or over fueling.

Comment

Thanks guys. I will have a look and listen and get back to you. Thanks again.

Comment

if it is the turbo I have a good one here of my red truck u can have cheap..
              One day at the time I guess..

Comment

Thanks for the turbo offer. I have a diesel fitter that will be taking a look at my motor next week. As soon as I know anything I will let you all know. Many thanks.

Comment

Back again with a short update! Unfortunately my Hyundai Accent 1.3 was not upto jump-starting my Surf so all I can say at the moment is that I can see some sideways movement in the shaft of the turbo. Shoud there be any movement of this kind? Should be able to get it started tomorrow so should know more then.

Comment

Originally posted by jag1709 View Post
                    Back again with a short update! Unfortunately my Hyundai Accent 1.3 was not upto jump-starting my Surf so all I can say at the moment is that I can see some sideways movement in the shaft of the turbo. Shoud there be any movement of this kind? Should be able to get it started tomorrow so should know more then.
                    a slight movement is ok.... but nothing more....
                    if u leave the hyundai running for about 20 minutes with the leads on hte surf shud start...
                    I jump started mine of my tiny Honda....
                    anyway hope u get it sorted mate... good luck
                    One day at the time I guess..

Comment

similer problem

I have no loss of power but do have excessive smoke on idle blue/grey and smokes on exceleration not sure of color but its dark. However i have noticed some oil loss so checked turbo some play in bearings and oily residue around outlet. Always had the smoke on exceleration even after filter change but engine runs sweet and idles nicely so just put up with that.

Comment

Oh Crap

Hi Guys, I finally managed to get my Surf started and The engine sounds exactly the same as the one in the video ToxicYeti posted. I,m gutted that this has happened to an engine that has only done about 500 miles!!!!!!!!! Can any one tell me if an average amateur could change a valve? If it is going to be to expensive then I will sadly have to break my Surf or try to sell it whole if I can get the right money. If anyone is interested in a 92 2.4 SSRG with loads of goodies please let me know. Thanks guys

Comment

If a valve has gone you will need the head off.

Not so much difficult as just an awful lot of 'things to do'!

Don't try this unless you have a comprehensive toolkit, and you will need help lifting the head off. If you go for it, video and label everything - all hoses nuts bolts etc etc etc.

Do not try and remove a valve without the correct spring compressor. Take the head to a garage to get the valve out.

They are stretch bolts on the 2.4 and they cost about £50 I think. They can only be used once.

If I was doing this I would allow a long, quiet weekend, including Friday!
                          Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo View Post
                            If a valve has gone you will need the head off.

Not so much difficult as just an awful lot of 'things to do'!

Don't try this unless you have a comprehensive toolkit, and you will need help lifting the head off. If you go for it, video and label everything - all hoses nuts bolts etc etc etc.

Do not try and remove a valve without the correct spring compressor. Take the head to a garage to get the valve out.

They are stretch bolts on the 2.4 and they cost about £50 I think. They can only be used once.

If I was doing this I would allow a long, quiet weekend, including Friday!
                            What he said.

p.s.
                            Has your 'cruiser had a re-bore?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                              What he said.

p.s.
                              Has your 'cruiser had a re-bore?
                              Nah, The Shed is quite standard AKAIK.

When funds allow I'll be turbo charging it. Got all the bits, just need to figure out the exhaust routing.
                              Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Working...
                              X