oil leak 2.4 td

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil leak 2.4 td

hey there everyone. new to the forum last night. loads of good info here. anyways i aquired my surf close to two years ago. love the bugger. the fact that i live in canada makes it difficult to find a good mechanic who knows what the hell he's doing. right hand diesels are not a commodity over here.
    a couple of months ago she started leaking oil. alot of oil. my tools are limited and i dont have a covered garage to work in. i am however quite handy and have even handier mates. the oil is coming down the oil filter side of the engine. pretty sure its starting down from above the filter. hard to tell where exactly considering everything is covered in oil. just wondering where i should start looking and what to start taking apart. parts are friggin expensive and again hard to find here. i've already dumped a bunch of money in to it since i've bought it. but i still love it. this is why i'd rather try to tackle it myself. any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Mine was doing that. One of the rubber pipes that carry oil to / from the turbo had split. Pain to get to, but cheap repair if that's the prob.

If oil filter is covered in oil even more likely to be these.

Much
    Last edited by sv1000spilot; 1 April 2009, 13:17.
    My other cars a QUAD
    (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
    http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

Mine was doing that. One of the rubber pipes that carry oil to / from the turbo had split. Pain to get to, but cheap repair if that's the prob.

Much easier to change if AC pump no longer in place
      My other cars a QUAD
      (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
      http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

had simialr probs once on a enigne.solved it by steam cleaning the enigne and checked it everday for a while then found it right away. until you clean the crap away you cant really tell .hope this helps mate

Comment

Having a similar problem at the moment, just changed the
          cam cover gasket and it's eased, a lot. A good steam clean is next.
          A while ago had problems starting when cold, and I could see oil
          pouring from the engine just above the filter and down onto
          the front diff, it stopped when engine started.(never found the leak)
          Oil and filter changed and hey presto no leak (creepy).
          Could be like the others say and down to a spilt turbo drain pipe tho.
          If it aint broke, keep goin' till it is.

Comment

thanks for the reply's mates. i appreciate the help. i'll have to wait for the weather to stop ####in down on me out here on the wet coast of canada, i mean west coast. i dont have anything indoor where i can do any work. hopefully within the next few days though. has anyone heard of some kind of dye you can add to your oil after the steam clean. run it for a while and wait for the neon coloured goo to come. someone mentioned it too me also.
            i'll keep you posted on the situation. also trying to get some pics on here of the beast.she's a beauty.

Comment

Originally posted by sv1000spilot View Post

Much
              thanks man. thats first on the list this weekend

Comment

fixed oil leak 2.4 td

hey there everyone. so while i was waiting for the rain to die down i kept driving my surf. while doing so it stopped starting. luckily while in my driveway. i'll talk about that later. so i took off the turbo bla,bla,bla. so i noticed the gasket that sits betweeen the turbo "body" itself and these two hard line hoses(two different diameters) that are fitted into one flange that run down under engine somewhere, was cracked and half was melted on the flange, half came off easily. so i went to lordco auto parts bought a sheet of gasket ($15.00 canadian) cut it to fit the flange, bolted everything back up and started up the bad boy ( i fixed starter first ). so iwent for a good drive came back, parked and waited. usually after driving it would be ten fifteen minutes till the first drip. give it overnight and i swear almost half i pints worth underneath. well i've waited and waited and still not a drop.been almost a week. i fixed the ####### for fifteen bucks. about 6 pounds to you. however it did sit in the driveway for about two weeks downtime.no big deal. when they probably would have charged me at least a thousand bucks(canadian) at the shop.thanks for all the suggestions. this forums kickass.

Comment

Working...
                X