Overheated 2.4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overheated 2.4

Hi there, well whilst on the M6 last night the car overheated in pretty dramatic fashion. The mechanics I use can't look at it till next week. I've had a look under the oil filler cap and cant see any foam so no evidence of water getting in, there is still some coolant in the expansion bottle and when I've dipped some kitchen roll in it it isn't oil coloured. I took the coolant cap off the thermostat housing and it's dry in there, there are puddles under the car. The head gasket was replaced and new head etc done some years ago when it blew in the usual way whilst the previous owner had the car. The heat was enough to melt the plastic of the expansion tank's filler cap.
    Obviously I'm worried that the head's gone again, can anyone suggest what it might be and how I go about any further diagnosis? I can't see any holes in the pipes etc but it's not that easy to see them is it with all the panels in the way.
    Many thanks.

When did you last check the coolant? Did the cap blow off the expansion tank at all?

It might have just sprung a leak and p1ssed its pants. If there are puddles, that's got to be the number 1 suspect. Check all of your hoses (again), especially the clips. Also check the radiator's not popped.

Comment

I checked the coolant level fairly recently and it was ok but recently I've done some long trips in it whereas before it was always short ones at lower speeds. The cap didnt blow off the expansion bottle but the pipe which goes down into the expansion tank is blocked with some of the cap which had melted, don't know whether that happened before or last night. Does coolant only come back into that when there's a problem or all the time when it's running?

Comment

Coolant goes into the expansion tank when it's running, then gets sucked back in when the engine cools down.

Comment

Fill it up, fix the expansion tank, start it if you can, check for leaks and see what happens. You may be lucky and not cracked the head again, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Nev

Comment

Coolant goes into the expansion tank when i's running, then gets sucked back in when the engine cools down.
            Hmm so that pipe being blocked might have caused all the trouble.

I might well try that Nev, but to be honest it may also be time to leave this to the pros.....

Many thanks to you both, much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Tonka View Post
              Hmm so that pipe being blocked might have caused all the trouble.
              If it was blocked and nothing could get past, the coolant would have vented out of the rad cap instead, so the level would go down. It could, also, have found another route out by pushing a hose off or bursting the radiator.

As Nev said, fill it up and see if it leaks out first.

Comment

Well I'm gutted because the garage say it is the head gasket.

Anyone know how much a head replacement is?

Is there anyone recommended here? Many thanks again, could be one less Surf....

Comment

Originally posted by Tonka View Post
                  Well I'm gutted because the garage say it is the head gasket.

Anyone know how much a head replacement is?

Is there anyone recommended here? Many thanks again, could be one less Surf....
                  for heads you need stevo, add at the top of the page and he isnt too far from you!
                  Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                  Tony

Comment

As FatFires says go with Stevo Heads. I fitted a Stevo Head last September ,and they are without doubt the dogs b0llx$ .Stevo's service is second to none and you will not find a more helpful genuine bloke. All in including gaskets and consumables £700 ,fitted in about 2 weekends with a standard socket set, torsion bar and 10 cut knuckles and a mate to help. He will also fit a new head 'while u wait' if you can get it to manchester. Dont do what i did and get on the merry go round of changing everything else like viscous fan/radiator/cap/burp/bleedvalve/super expensive coolant/burp/drain flush/change every water hose/heater matrix/burp/thermostat/flushout thru block drain plug. Those things are worth doing if you can afford the cash & effort but if the head is fubarred ITS FURBARRED and no faffing or 2nd opinions will stop it overheating.
                    Take off thermostat cap fillup and run and wait to see if you get any tiny bubbles, lots of tiny bubbles.

Comment

Thanks to you all for your help, I have it booked in with Stevo this week. Not gonna get my hands dirty this time, going to leave it to the pros.

Comment

Working...
                      X